Tablet advice (Samsung vs Apple?)

cazzalupe 21:37 01 Nov 2015

I want to get my boyfriend a tablet for a present asap. I don't know much about Samsung. All my devices are Apple.

He's got a Series 7 Chronos laptop and a Note 2 phone. Being a Mac person I was thinking that I would get him an iPad. But, would a Samsung tablet be a better bet given his current devices? If so, which one?

I know one of the main things he wants his tablet for is for music storage. And we're talking roughly a 1,000 song music library. This seems to be his main objective.

Can someone please advise me on this? Would getting him an iPad just cause more problems than sticking with a Samsung tablet in order to work with his existing devices?

I'd be so grateful for some advice on this. Especially as it's something I have to do rather soon.

Thanks in advance for any help!

morddwyd 11:09 02 Nov 2015

Very awkward, as it's very personal thing.

I have tried then both but sent the iPad back and stuck with Samsung, but I know the FE would find quality of life reduced without his iPad!

Obviously a Samsung tablet would be more compatible with His Note than Apple.

The other important aspect is music storage. You must make sure that whatever you get will take a high capacity SD card. I know most Samsung tablets will (I have 3, plus 2 notes!) but I don't know about the iPad.

I have no doubt someone with hands on experience will help you out.

Also on music, the Galaxy Pro 12.2 has the best speakers I have ever heard in a hand held device, at least as good as a table top radio.

cazzalupe 14:00 02 Nov 2015

Thank you! :-)

iscanut 15:22 02 Nov 2015

I don't think the I Pad will take an SD card. For the music stored on an I Pad you will have to make sure you get one with the largest memory you can afford. To sync the I pad with the laptop, he will need to install and use I Tunes to do this.

cazzalupe 17:50 03 Nov 2015

Thanks again. You're right, iPad's don't take SD cards. That's another reason I'm leaning towards a Samsung.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)