Suggestions for sub £1000 laptop

calranthe 07:34 30 Jan 2010

Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a new laptop where as with my desktop pc's I just buy parts and build myself, laptops are a totally different creature and one i've been burnt with in the past.

My primary needs are gaming (eve, Startrek online, mass effect 2, left4dead 2) I realise I won't be able to play these on max settings that is what my desktop is for.

Also I want it to be able to handle movies etc (when not being used as a portable it will be hooked up to our 37" lcd TV and be used as a media pc)

Driver support.

Now my last notebook which im writing this on was a fujitsu amilo pa3553

Nice but two major flaws firstly it came with a weak processor 2gb of graphics and a wierd cross fire ati graphics card custom mobile which meant it was slow as hell in vista, I tried to downgrade it to XP (knowing that in xp it would probably make an okay games/media machine) but the actual crossfire/ati combo inside isn't possible to be used in xp even with custom hacked drivers.

I upgraded to 4gb and still it was slow even with all the bells and whistles of vista disabled.

So im looking for a new upgrade one that doesn't end up a lame duck.

Any help is really appreciated

GaT7 22:29 30 Jan 2010

Hi calranthe, for a start, these benchmark lists should give you a fairly good idea about which graphics card (GPU) to get: click here, click here & click here.

Most laptops these days have fairly good basic specs - dual-core CPU, 4Gb RAM & large hard drives. So choose a few laptops with GPUs from the above links that will play your games (or some of them) on medium settings at the very least. As a gamer, the GPU ideally needs to be the best you can afford / fit in your budget. The rest of the spec will be good enough to cope with the games & just about everything else.

Post the links of some laptops that you think will be suitable. Then we'll take a closer look & let you know either way. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?