SSD or HDD? Help needed please

AngeTheHippy 22:05 26 Nov 2015

Evening Chaps, Want to buy a new laptop and have been surprised that there is also SSD lappys - I always thought SSD's were expensive! Anyway - I've noticed that for example, many lappys have 500Gb HDDs, yet the SSD machines I've seen have only 128Gb! What's the difference please? Does it store info differently, so that 128gb is equal to 500Gb? Thanks in advance,

Ange x

alanrwood 08:17 27 Nov 2015

The advantage of SSD is simply that it is many times faster but they cost considerably more for the same storage size when compared to a "spinner".

AngeTheHippy 08:24 27 Nov 2015

Thanks toejams and Alanrwoods, so would you say 128Gb has a similar capacity to 500Gb ? OR does it indeed have only 128Gb of space? I find this really confusing without any help via Googling at all...

hastelloy 08:38 27 Nov 2015

As toejams said it has a 128 Gb capacity - 1.e. it stores 128 Gb of data.

x123 08:43 27 Nov 2015

Hi Ange, that's a blast from the past.

Yes a 128gb will only hold 128gd. That's about one quarter of 500gb hard drive.

The ssd will boot, load programs and search much faster than a conventional drive.

The ssd in my opinion , is not as reliable as a convention drive as I have seen them fail after 15 months but also have seen some still working after 3 years.

A ssd will produce less heat as there is no moving parts spinning upto 7200 rpm.

You will need either external or in some cases internal storage is possible if you have large amounts of data, music, photos or videos.

So both have advantages and disadvantages. It is a personal choice.

A gamer or some one who wants the fastest machine will go ssd.

If you are not to bothered on quick boot and seek and require the space, go for a conventional drive that will hold 500gb.

Secret-Squirrel 08:44 27 Nov 2015

..........so would you say 128Gb has a similar capacity to 500Gb ? OR does it indeed have only 128Gb of space?

A 128GB SSD has 128GB of storage - just like a conventional hard disk. Windows and the pre-loaded software alone will take at least a third of that, and by the time you've loaded your own programs and data, there may not be much left.

If you can't afford a 256GB SSD then you may want to consider a "hybrid" drive which is a conventional mechanical hard disk with an on-board solid-state cache (of 8-32GB) which intelligently stores frequently used files to increase system performance.

onthelimit1 09:13 27 Nov 2015

Seen some new laptops recently with only 30Gb SSD. Owners were wondering why they were getting 'disk full' when trying to install anything. Now that's really going back to the dark ages (my first PC in 1997 had a 30Gb drive).

AngeTheHippy 10:16 27 Nov 2015

Hahaha, Hello Secret-Squirrel, nice hearing from ya! I think it's clear SSD probably ISN'T the way to go right now, it's almost a down-grade rather than an upgrade isn't it!! xx

Gordon Freeman 11:28 27 Nov 2015

If you want speed then go SSD, if not HDD will do you. I had a 1tb HDD in my laptop originally, then switched it for a 1tb SSD and the difference in speed is 'major'. You can get a SSD (500gb for c. £135):

click here your query, no, 128gb (on SSD) is not equivalent to 500gb (on HDD); 128gb of space is 128gb of space whatever the type of drive.

Regarding

Secret-Squirrel 12:01 27 Nov 2015

Ange, if you don't want to pay silly prices for a laptop with a larger SSD, then if you're moderatley experienced, buy one with a regular hard drive and also buy a 250GB SSD, clone the existing drive then replace it with the SSD. 250GB capacity is usually more than enough enough for most folks. The excellent Samsung 850 EVO can be bought for less than £60 and comes with Samsung's cloning software. You will however need a USB->SATA adapter for the cloning process although you may already have one.

wee eddie 12:28 27 Nov 2015

I thought that I had posted this last night but, for some reason it didn't post.

I am shortly to get a Surface Pro and am making preparations for a small SSD. My PC had loads of movies and photos on it, all suitably backed up of course, but close to a TB in all.

So, I bought a NAS Drive and I am gradually transferring all the memory hogs over to it, leaving only the stuff that I am likely need regular/immediate access to. Then, once the Surface arrives, the transfer will be relatively small. The PC will be retired as it is, I can't believe it, about 10 years old and becoming temperamental.

SSD is the future and is relatively expensive, per GB, as you have found out, but having a NAS Drive in the house is beginning to have other uses as well, although I have not yet started to use what I have been told is possible

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?