Speakers for a laptop

Fateful Shadow 18:08 20 Apr 2004

I'm sure everyone who owns a laptop will agree with me that the sounds coming out of the inbuilt speakers are OK, but not that good. I'm looking for some speakers that I can attach via USB (or any other method if that's possible) to get a better sound out of my laptop.

Does anybody have some suggestions?

mikef. 18:19 20 Apr 2004

I use a pair of Sony active speakers that I used to use with my CD players and plug them into the headphones socket.

Diodorus Siculus 18:26 20 Apr 2004

You can get an external Creative Audigy sound card via USB and to that attach a set of speakers. But as mikef suggests, a regular set plugged into the headphone socket can be good.

Diodorus Siculus 18:26 20 Apr 2004

You can get an external Creative Audigy sound card via USB and to that attach a set of speakers. But as mikef suggests, a regular set plugged into the headphone socket can be good.

AndySD 18:41 20 Apr 2004

I use click here a touch on the expensive side but great sound for such small speakers.

Stuartli 09:22 21 Apr 2004

As your laptop probably only has a basic onboard sound chipset, you could just use some of the small speakers intended for portable equipment such as personal CD players.

Prices range from around a fiver (or less!) up to £20 or more and you should be able to try them out first at most outlets before making a decision.

Gaz 25 22:14 22 Apr 2004

Sound card = Creative Extigy external USB sound card I think Diodorus Siculus is talking about.

Speakers = Any decent sized and good sounding.

Some for you to look at:

click here - Very good quality indeed and decent clear bass output. And they are excellent for the size. But costly ;-) but trust me they do sound good.

click here - Great for the money, decent sound but not as good as the Bose. But theres a big price difference. :-)

click here Decent, since altec lansing are quite a good speaker manufacturer, these are cheap and chearful and sound arlight.

Good luck.

Stuartli 08:50 23 Apr 2004

So Altec Lansing is "quite a good speaker manufacturer"...:-)

It's regarded as one of the world's finest hi-fi speaker manufacturers and has been for many years - the same goes for Harman Kardon and not just in the speakers field.

Brian-336451 12:32 23 Apr 2004

I've used these (although it's one physical unit) for the last few months constantly travelling through Asia and Middle East with my laptop.

Batteries last a long time and there is a mains adapter too.

I do not know how or why the sound is SO good, but it is.

They are not cheap, but it is truly a case of you get what you pay for with these.

Excellent.

Gaz 25 12:59 23 Apr 2004

Yeah, I know.

But not to forget that your ears are the best way of evaluating a sound system.

Harmon Int. is part of crown international, and yes they are a very good make, same goes for Altec lansing...

But I wasnt favoring any particular one.

Stuartli 17:55 23 Apr 2004

I've been a hi-fi enthusiast for nearly 40 years...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?