Sound card dilemma!

Bruce_Lee 15:37 08 Aug 2003

I am currently looking to buy a new sound card that will handle 6 channel audio (for a brand new Altec-Lansing 5.1 speaker set) and I have five options:

Creative Labs - Audigy Player (£50.00)

Hercules - Fortissimo III 7.1 (£40)

Videologic (Pure Digital) - SonicXplosion (£50)

Phillips - Seismic Edge 5.1 PCI (£46)

Trust - 514DX 5.1 Sound Expert Optical (£30)

What should I choose?

I am not a great fan of Creative sound cards and I have had a few problems with compatibility and driver issues with them before, but I am including the Audigy in this comparison to find out what you all think.

If anyone can suggest another card at around the same budget (£50) then please do!

Stuartli 19:49 08 Aug 2003

The Hercules Fortissimo III is regarded as an exceptional buy for the price, whilst you can get the Philis Seismic Edge at Dixons for £35 on special offer, along with the Creative SoundBlaster Live at £30.

I have the SoundBlaster Live! 1024 which is excellent with my IBM 2.1 speakers and which proved to have no problems, except one, with the drivers and audio facilities.

That was to do with the DOS driver (SB16 emulation) which prevented Windows shutting down; disabling the driver "from this hardware" in Device Manager cured it and it can always be enabled again if required.

Stuartli 19:51 08 Aug 2003

Altec Lansing is a renowned US hi-fi speakers manufacturer and although I've never heard their computer equivalents would imagine them to be first class.

So they will need a sound card that does them justice.

arnolddog 23:12 10 Aug 2003

i fitted a hercules digi 7.1 soundcard to my p.c. about 6 months ago and have enjoyed surround sound equal to my t.v.surrond sound.although i got the more expensive digi 7.1 it also comes with two firewire ports that i found useful when i bought my digi camcorder.

maby66 11:53 11 Aug 2003

Try Toms Hardware guide - there was a souncard comparison with at least two or three of your choices not too long ago....

actually - here is the URL:click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?