Smart phone coverage?

knockin on 13:00 17 Jan 2010

I need advice about global access please.
Which company do I choose to have my contract with?
I am holidaying in Tailand, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore over the next couple of months, and would like to be able to access the net, emails etc.with the new device.
I will almost certainly choose the HTC Touch HD2 model and see possible deals with O2, Virgin, T Mobile etc.
How can I ensure the one I choose will connect in all these areas?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I am quite a novice with these devices, I am still on my 1st £10.00 pay-as-you go Nokia, bought in 19 hundred and frozen to death

Woolwell 14:08 17 Jan 2010

Be prepared to find it expensive. Before you start you should read the cost of connecting overseas These are the O2 charges click here
A Quad band phone should automatically find the most appropriate mobile network in the country you are visiting. Personally I wouldn't consider using it for internet but instead use internet cafes and hotel wi-fi/internet.

bremner 15:09 17 Jan 2010

Data charges by all the providers are very expensive - on O2 £3 per MB. I accessed my email account three times in a week whilst in Spain and it cost me over £10.

This is not included in the "unlimited data" contract as that only applies in the UK.

Ventad 15:35 17 Jan 2010

When my wife and I go to australia (I know it is for a month) we get an aussie sim card each plus a
starters pack. which gives free texts and phone calls up to a certain amount (quite generous) as it used to cost 50p to text uk and a lot dearer to text each other. last year it worked out to be £16.50 for sim and calls prepaid. We never used the quota even though we were in contact with UK and relations in Aussie.

Ventad 15:42 17 Jan 2010

Meant to say we use O2 normally, and we have quite a few relations in aussie.

knockin on 16:17 17 Jan 2010

I may need to look again at this idea.
I thought I had seen a deal with this phone which said something like 30p a day for overseas net access charged only on days when you access the net.
Now I feel this may not be right - or maybe not the whole story.
Thank you all for your observations. I will do some more homework.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)