Service Pack 2

amyjen7 15:05 06 Mar 2005

I have been stalling loading Service Pack 2 because of the stories I keep hearing with regards compatability. I have WindowsXP Home Edition and my securty is very well handled by Norton SystemsWorks which is updated regularly. Do you think I am wrong in not installing Srvice Pack 2?

TomJerry 15:20 06 Mar 2005

quote from net search

"If you have:

1. a MESH computer; or,

2. an ASUS mb; or,

3. an ATI video card; or,

4. an AMD 64 processor

think carefully"

But I believe there are fixes for most problems. not sure for Mesh.

stalion 15:43 06 Mar 2005

personal choice if you want to install it, if not it's not a problem there are still regular updates for sp1

Mr Mistoffelees 16:00 06 Mar 2005

I have an Asus motherboard and have had no problems with SP2.

gudgulf 18:20 06 Mar 2005

The Asus problem was only with certain models (like the p4p800's) and P4 Prescott processors fitted.

spuds 19:42 06 Mar 2005

Haven't Microsoft produced a compatibility product sheet.Thought they had, if so, could be worth a look.

My SP2 disk is still waiting to be installed.Like wort, still hearing some dread stories, so why upset my computer!.

bremner 19:44 06 Mar 2005

IMHO it is foolhardy not to install SP2 - probably 99% of users have experienced no problems and their machines are more secure because of the upgrade.

Don't listened to the doom mongers.

ade.h 21:08 06 Mar 2005

Ah, but some of those "doom mongers" may just have a point; I had cause to regret setting eyes on SP2 after installing it yesterday. I'm glad I backed up all my business files to my laptop because I have a dead PC sat under my desk!

It was probably due for a fresh re-install anyway....

Tony The Bike 21:13 06 Mar 2005

I have a asus M/B and no problems, all went well.

gorgo 18:03 07 Mar 2005

as I have auto update running service pack has been installed. I didn't find any problem until i installed a microsoft wireless optical keyboard and mouse...I have now found that I can't access any of the help file named mk:@MSITStore:c:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftIntellitypePro\ithelp.chm I have asked at the local Tiny dealer but despite tinkering for a couple of day all they could come up with was the suggestion that it was 'something to do with the service pack 2 installation, stopping access to the help files/user help' and 'perhaps you should try re-installing XP' As a bit of a novice I'm not sure whether they are just trying to get me to buy a new pc or what.

ade.h 22:23 07 Mar 2005

If that's the only glitch that has appeared so far, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It may even have nothing to do with SP2 and more to do with the software installation for Intellitype Pro. Try re-installing that first as per the product manual. As for that old chestnut "try re-installing XP", it's a far too common get-out that some "experts" resort to when they're stumped!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?