Scotttish power - overcharge on direct debit

VNAM75 14:52 18 Nov 2008

For the past 2 months they have overcharged me, this resulting in me being £100 in credit. I've asked them to reduce the monthly direct debit, which they have from £84 to £40 based on my meter reading. I'm a very low user and £40 (gas and electric)is about right for the winter months.

What are my rights regarding the £100? Can I request they refund me (say £80 and leave £20 in credit) or ask them to put in nil amounts for the next 2 months direct debit payment? I've only been a customer for 2 months and paid by cheque with my previous supplier.

g0nvs 19:22 18 Nov 2008

Yes you can, I got a refund from my supplier (£200).It's YOUR money.

VNAM75 20:34 18 Nov 2008

OK thanks g0nvs, I will request it.

spuds 11:47 19 Nov 2008

One problem with direct debit payments, is the fact that some people are now finding that they are getting into arrears (sometime high) due to frequent price increases.

I have just changed over all my suppliers, and still pay by cash or cheque payments, in which I receive a 3% discount for prompt payments.

wee eddie 13:11 19 Nov 2008

was to avoid excessive Winter Bills.

e.g. that a rate was decided that was consistent for all 4 Quarters. Thereby removing the Winter Blip ~ To do this one needs to build up a Credit over the summer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?