Sale of Goods Act "Durability"

fredj 17:29 31 Oct 2003

I understand the Sale of Goods Act has a section covering the durability of a product which provides consumers with some compensation for products, which fail prematurely after the initial warranty period has expired.

Can any one please clarify.

Djohn 17:32 31 Oct 2003

click here this is the site you need, hope it is of help. j.

spuds 18:55 31 Oct 2003

Some goods have an expected longer life than others, and would be more durable.Sales of Goods usually suggest a good well manufactured product should last 5/6 years at least before failure, ie TV's.

davidg_richmond 23:18 31 Oct 2003

Durability of goods depends on the amount of use, the condition of the goods (i.e. no apparent evidence of damage by the consumer), and the expected lifetime of a particular product.

There is sometimes a difference between the expected lifetime of a product (like the 5-6 years for a telly) and the length of time before a repair is reasonably expected. For instance, a TV may be expected to last 5-8 years (before natural replacement/supercedence or by the uneconomical cost of repair), but the set may be expected to need minor repairs after 3 or 4 years depending on use.

With computers, from my own experience I would think that PSUs would only be reasonably expected to last about 2 years, monitors about 3, CD drives about 2-3 on average use.

Remember that if you wish to dispute that a product has not been durable in accordance with the Sale of Goods Act, then after six months the burden of proof is on the customer. If you provide this proof, a retailer is obliged to carry out the repair.

Forum Editor 23:29 31 Oct 2003

isn't defined in the relevant legislation for obvious reasons - it would be impossible to do so.

Each case that comes before the courts is decided on its merits - the judge making the assesment as to whether or not the item failed inside or outside his/her judgment of what is 'reasonable' in the circumstances.

fredj 08:25 01 Nov 2003

Thanks for all your very helpful replies.

Stuartli 12:17 01 Nov 2003

The Retra website (which represents radio, electrical and television retailers) also has durability of products expectation details:

click here

Look under Consumer link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)