Returning a laptop bought online

Gordon Freeman 08:48 23 Sep 2019
Answered

Hi, grateful if someone can assist with some advice. I bought a laptop end August thru ebuyer, it's an i5 laptop.

I've obviously opened it, used it & loaded ms office on it, but I'm not totally happy with it so wanted to know where I stood about returning it for a full refund?

I thought I'd ask on here before approaching ebuyer.

I've read on their site about a 14 days cooling off period, but I've gone past that, so am a bit unsure where I stand. Thanks in advance.

WhirlingRound 09:32 23 Sep 2019

It depends what aspect of the laptop you are not happy with.

In addition to the 14 day cooling off period. You should have a minimum 30 day (from date of purchase) warranty for any faults that you were not aware of at the time, or have since developed. The paper work you received from ebuyer will detail the terms of sale.

wee eddie 09:45 23 Sep 2019

As WR has said. It depends on what you're not happy with.

If it was a Low Cost Model and it's having problems editing pictures, you have made a mistake. There is nothing wrong with it, that's not what it was designed to do.

Again, if it only has 16/32GB Storage, which M$ Office will consume a goodly chunk of,the problem is really yours. You bought something with a Specification below your requirements.

It is possible that they would take it back for a full refund, but that is unlikely as its value will have dropped because of your use of it.

However, you may be able to negotiate an exchange for a more powerful model. Much will depend on how you paid for it and you will be at their mercy.

Sorry for the bad news

HondaMan 11:45 24 Sep 2019

In the UK you have 6 months, if anything goes wrong the supplier is legally obliged to rectify it within a reasonable time or give you a full refund. However, as Wee Eddie has said, if you made a mistake you are on your own, and the attitude/gernerosity of the retailer

Gordon Freeman 12:48 24 Sep 2019

Thanks to all respondents. I'll contact ebuyer & see what they say. There's nothing wrong with the laptop, it functions perfectly, but in hindsight maybe I should have gone for a higher spec.

wee eddie 12:53 24 Sep 2019

GF: you're not alone.

Good luck

Gordon Freeman 13:25 24 Sep 2019
Answer

OK contacted them but because the 14 days period had passed by, I can't return it for a refund. Pity, but not the end of the world.

Menzie 13:44 24 Sep 2019

You might actually have to take the loss by selling it on and then buying a higher specced laptop.

Out of curiosity what spec is this laptop? Judging by the minimum specs you were looking for in your other thread the laptop you would have gotten sounds pretty potent.

x13 13:49 24 Sep 2019

Should be pretty good if an i5 6th gen or higher. What usually affects the performance is having an ordinary HDD instead of an SSD installed. If it only has a spinner it might be worth taking it to your local computer shop and upgrading the drive unless you can do it your self.

Gordon Freeman 13:58 24 Sep 2019

I did get the spec I laid out in the other thread, Menzie, in the form of a new Lenovo E590 (instead of a cheap refurb), latest gen i5, win 10 pro, (256gb SSD too) etc., but I didn't feel it was/is as nippy as my older Samsung i7, so that was the 'mental' benchmark I was measuring against, if you understand me?

It's actually a decent machine but I just don't get the feeling of speed with it.

I'm stuck with it now anyway, so as I get more used to it I'm sure any negativity will disappear & its performance will become the new 'mental' benchmark.

Forum Editor 16:04 24 Sep 2019

"There's nothing wrong with the laptop, it functions perfectly, but in hindsight maybe I should have gone for a higher spec."

Many people know that feeling, but - as you have discovered - it is not grounds for returning a purchase after several weeks have gone by unless the seller agrees to it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)