Recommendations for replacement HD ?

freaky 19:23 22 Oct 2006

I think the HD in my old PC could be heading for the cemetry !

For a few weeks now on booting, Windows requests the drive to be checked for errors. The same thing happened today, and it had to convert some lost chains to files = 3296KB in 24 recovered files. Also on booting the drive occasionally makes a clicking noise.

The PC is about 6-years old and has a 40GB Maxtor Standard IDE and Parallel ATA.

The MOB is a Gigabyte GA-7DXR, and supports ATA 100 w/RAID 0.1

If I have to replace this HD then I will get a 160 GB.

Any recomendations for which make and specification to buy, PCW have some Hitachi drives, but somebody said that Seagate were better.

Many thanks.

ashdav 21:53 22 Oct 2006
  phil46 21:57 22 Oct 2006

Windows will see only 128gb and you would have to update the bios if that was available for an old computer i would not go above 120gb,i have an eight year old computer i keep going for fun came with a 10gb HD runs well on a 80gb.

Stuartli 22:03 22 Oct 2006

I've always used Western Digital Caviar SE hard drives with the model number ending in JB (extended warraty) - always proved quiet and very reliable, 8MB cache etc.

160GB version is £40 including VAT from Scan of Bolton:

click here

It also lists the 120GB version at the same price for some reason (probably the price has gone down and not been corrected).

Strawballs 22:21 22 Oct 2006
  SANTOS7 22:51 22 Oct 2006

I'm with strawballs on this one Got two maxtors in me tower can't fault them, stupidly easy to fit, a good honest bit of hardware, might be the way to go as you already have a maxtor drive and as its nearly 6 years old its testament to the product..

freaky 12:21 23 Oct 2006

Many thanks for the link. Have now ordered a 160Gb Seagate Barracuda - 5-years warranty !

Many thanks to all for your replies, I will now mark this topic Resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?