recommend me a good deal on a 4-5pixel digital cam

KARINA 08:20 10 Jun 2003

I am looking to buy a digital camera over the next few days or so.........can anyone recommend a good deal on a 4 to 5 pixel digital camera before i go ahead...........saying that my eye is on the 'Minolta DiMAGE S414 (4 pixel) for £250.99 from Amazon..........does anyone have one of these.....any feedback would be appreciated.......

anchor 08:51 10 Jun 2003

Read this most favourable review

click here

I have also done a detailed examination of the sample pictures, and they seem excellent.

Another camera worthy of your consideration is the Canon A70.

KARINA 09:44 10 Jun 2003

That review was very helpful indeed..........thanks.......i'll look into the canon a70 as well.........

KARINA 09:55 10 Jun 2003

do you have a canon a70......if not why do 'you' rate this camera being quite good as well......is there such a camera that does not use alot of battery power......the one that i have-the batteries run out in about 10 minutes and i use Duracell.........how long roughly do batteries last on average..........the canon a70 from what i've seen seems quite good but will it make alot of difference going from 4 pixel to 3............or do you think it doesn't make alot of difference.........glad of your feedback......

anchor 13:33 10 Jun 2003

No, I don`t have a Canon A70 or Minolta S414, but I really keep "up-to-date" with digital camera developments. The Canon is reviewed here:
click here

As regards batteries, both use 4 x AA batteries, and if you buy some 1800 mAh rechargeable NiMh batteries, you should not have the problem of rapid discharge. (Of course, the frequent use of the LCD display will use more power). Most digital cameras will use the same amount of power, under the same conditions. There are some very good deals indeed on rechargeable batteries here:
click here

As regards the pros and cons of these two cameras; The Minolta has a higher resolution, and a 4x optical zoom. This could be useful if you want to get "closer". To be honest, looking at identical pictures taken on both cameras, the quality was very close. The Canon A70 had the "best-buy" award in the June edition of Computer Shopper magazine.

I think you would be more than satisfied with either camera, and in the end it comes down to looking at both, and seeing which you are most comfortable with. Price is of course important, and you would need to search around for price comparisons.

JerryJay 13:36 10 Jun 2003

4-5 pixel dig camrea.
Are you kidding?

KARINA 15:10 10 Jun 2003

Pardon!!!!!!! what do you mean by are you kidding?.........what is wrong with looking for a 4 to 5 pixel camera...........can you explain yourself.................

KARINA 15:12 10 Jun 2003

and thanks anchor i think i will go for the canon a70 basically because you can download the pictures from a printer without the need of a computer........without your input i probably would not have even looked twice at a canon digital camera..........despite the fact that i have a canon printer and analogue camcorder.....ta again.....

anchor 15:28 10 Jun 2003

KARINA:

Do remember that most digital pictures can often be improved with a Photo programme. I personally like Paint Shop Pro, but a good free one is Irfanview. It can be downloaded here:

click here

Yes, I too was puzzled by the comments by JerryJay.

anchor 15:29 10 Jun 2003

KARINA:

Do remember that most digital pictures can often be improved with a Photo programme. I personally like Paint Shop Pro, but a good free one is Irfanview. It can be downloaded here:

click here

Yes, I too was puzzled by the comments by JerryJay.

anchor 15:30 10 Jun 2003

Sorry for the double post; I received an error message from the PCA server after the first attempt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?