Questionable descriptions!

LastChip 22:17 25 Dec 2003

Today, for Christmas, one of my son's presents was Battlefield 1942.

Amongst the requirements, were a CPU speed of 800MHz 128Mb RAM a graphics card with 32MB and so on.

His machine met all the requirements, albeit marginally.

He eagerly went to load the program and it refused about 95% into the process. Call Dad!!

After some effort, I managed to load the program and there was much glee, when the splash screen arrived, and the demo video began to run. However, this game absolutely refuses to load any further. On checking the web, I found a patch (1.5) and downloaded that and tried again. The same result. Now to a much deeper look at the help files and the accompanying manual, which has a recommended graphics card of 64Mb - Only DOUBLE that published on the front cover.

The point of this post (apart from a needlessly frustrating Christmas day for both myself and my son, is to warn others about what I would call "QUESTIONABLE DESCRIPTIONS" on front covers of games.

People have every right to expect the game to run without huge amounts of effort provided their machine meets minimum standards. Further perusal of the web, sees many in exactly the same position, so I would suggest, anyone thinking of buying a game from EA Games, take their specs. with a pinch of salt!

powerless 23:29 25 Dec 2003

Mobo drivers, g-card divers are all up to date?

rickf 23:44 25 Dec 2003

What if you were to close any progs.running in the background such as screensavers etc.,?

LastChip 12:50 26 Dec 2003

for your kind comments.

bfoc. I am sure you are right and I would not expect to have any difficulty in returning the game.

Powerless. Yes, everything slap bang up to date.

terminus. I am sure EA could prove this game will work within the specs, however, as I am sure you understand, the purpose of the post was to warn others about questionable claims by manufacturers.

Perhaps respected magazines such as PCA, should carry out their reviews on minimum spec. machines as stated by the game manufacturer, and then give a true reflection on whether these games will run or not, and if so, whether they are playable at that level. Only then, are peope likely to get a more honest answer as to whether the game is viable for them or not!

rickf. Yes everything closed down other than systray.

simonp1. I am sure you could be right, However, as stated (in a different way) above, it is my opinion that you should not have rebuild a machine just to load and play a game. If the machine meets the spec. as printed on the cover, in this day and age, you should be able to take the game home, load it and play it!

Until more consumers kick up about what is basically badly written code and/or inflated claims by manufacturers, the status quo will remain.

Incidentally, a search of the web revealed the original version of this game was riddled with bugs, some of which have been ironed out with the patch 1.5. To me, this is an example of a game not ready to be shipped into the main stream, effectively in BETA form, being tested by a frustrated public. In 2003, this is unacceptable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs