Question to the gamer pro (PING)

BAZZER007 21:03 25 Feb 2005

I was told to leave a server because my ping was to high?

Bleep 21:30 25 Feb 2005

Because you were droping too many 'packets' is a high 'ping count', this indicates the quality of your internet connection.

A high packet loss in a ping indicates a high ping = will create lag/slow down in a server , a low packet loss or zero packet = high quality connection a good gaming experience.

Starfox 22:35 25 Feb 2005

So is a low ping count better than a high one?

BAZZER007 22:46 25 Feb 2005

So iv'e obviously got a bad connection high packet loss,is there anything i can do?

Bleep 23:03 25 Feb 2005

In gaming terms a High PING, means a high amount packet loss, so yes a Low PING is better than a low one. Its simply a data stream sent to another IP address with the number of successful packets recieved back from the ping.

No not at all it means nothing just a bad connection that time!! that server could have been anywhere in the world mate everyone gets it.

Just try a ping test click here and monitor if it happens alot and then if it persits call you ISP.

Post you results of that link speed test....

Bleep 23:13 25 Feb 2005

What time of day did this happen? if you can get a network monitor you can see the route that its taking and monitor why you getting such a high ping and possible packet loss.

Again I would'nt panic was more likely a heavy traffic route also what do you have running in the back ground? any P2P check what you have running as they can also result in a High PING.

BAZZER007 14:27 26 Feb 2005

Thanx for the answers Bleep (cheers)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?