Printers

dawsonc 16:01 30 Mar 2005

Are they almost always sold with or without the required print cartridges? Reason I ask is that the price disparities seem very different from one supplier to the next

pj123 16:36 30 Mar 2005

Every printer I have ever bought always came with ink cartridges. But none of them have ever come with the interface lead to the computer. Always had to buy that extra whether it was a parallel or USB lead. The ink is where the printer manufacturers make their money. eg. Lexmark can be bought for £30 or less, the ink replacement is around £52. So it is cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the ink. That is one of the reasons I stick to Epson. Replacement compatibile ink cartridges can be bought from lots of suppliers much cheaper than Epson originals. I use Choice Stationery for all my replacement ink. click here

Belatucadrus 17:06 30 Mar 2005

Budget printers frequently come supplied with a 'Low use' cartridge (half empty). Some of the rock bottom spec printers only have one cartridge chassis, so operate on an either/or basis for colour and black printer cartridges, these are sometimes only supplied with the colour cartridge. The manufacturers arguing that it will print in black by blending the coloured inks, so the black cartridge is an optional extra.
Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule to show how each manufacturer will work. What this effectively means is that you not only need to check that all the cartridges are supplied you also need to find out how much ink they contain.

jbp1982 17:56 30 Mar 2005

Almost no printer that I know of comes with a (usb) printer lead. These need to be bought separate, don't pay the PCWorld price of £14.99, they can be got for five quid.

Epson is your best bet for value. Compatible inks start as low as £2 each and they are readily available. I have a little C66 Photo Edition prints nicely for a family PC, aound £50 to £60, and costs £8 for all the inks (4 x £2).

Epson R300 is an outstanding model, a neighbour got one, prints onto cds, and has a card reader in it. Anything between £80 and £100. Again £2 to £3 a compatible ink cartridge.

jbp1982 17:56 30 Mar 2005

Almost no printer that I know of comes with a (usb) printer lead. These need to be bought separate, don't pay the PCWorld price of £14.99, they can be got for five quid.

Epson is your best bet for value. Compatible inks start as low as £2 each and they are readily available. I have a little C66 Photo Edition prints nicely for a family PC, aound £50 to £60, and costs £8 for all the inks (4 x £2).

Epson R300 is an outstanding model, a neighbour got one, prints onto cds, and has a card reader in it. Anything between £80 and £100. Again £2 to £3 a compatible ink cartridge.

dawsonc 10:54 31 Mar 2005

Another question....Can a printer be connected to the PC via EITHER a paralell or USB, or are they one or the other. I am a bit short of USB ports (not strictly true but the USB card I installed gives mea warning that it is not very fast)

pj123 11:41 31 Mar 2005

Only if the printer has both parallel and USB outlets. I have two printers, an Epson 895 which can be used on parallel or USB and an Epson R200 which is USB only. Lately though most new printers now only have USB, so it looks like (as happended to 9 pin D type serial ports) even parallel ports are now becoming redundant.

wee eddie 13:47 31 Mar 2005

Assuming that you will be printing a half a dozen items per week.

The cost of inks used will annihilate any saving you make on the purchase price in the first few months.

Many printers have both types of port. Parallel is similar in loading speed to USB but slower than USB2. This does not affect the speed at which the printer prints.

bswatts 12:48 11 Apr 2005

My computer running Ms Windows XP, insists that I have no printer connected! The printer (an HP 950), however, appears to work OK. The icon on the taskbar has a yelloy triangle on it, which, it says, is an error.
Can anyone advise what this is all about?
Many thanks

wee eddie 14:38 11 Apr 2005

Start a new thread in the Help Section.

My guess is that you plugged it in before you installed the correct Drivers, and it is not happy with the default Drivers.

Dellman 14:11 12 Apr 2005

I've had my PC(s) since September04, and to date we have not had any problems (apart from minor issue getting registerred for their support service).
Does this mean that their service is improving? There don't appear to be as many entries on this sie as there used to be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?