Photo paper advice, please

GaT7 15:43 13 Mar 2006

Has anyone tried this Green 260gsm A4 Gloss Photo Paper from SVP click here - & is it any good?

It works out to 20x A4 sheets = £4.75, or 40x A4 sheets = £8.40 (both incl del). I won't get better for the price, will I?

Also, what paper type of glossy, matt, satin & silky would you recommend ? Satin = silky = matt? Ta, G

Diemmess 17:24 13 Mar 2006

Papers and printers have a liking/dislike which is quite unpredictable and very much a personal choice.

As a rule I prefer to pretend to the printer that the paper is one grade down on what it really is. So using say photo quality paper I choose to tell the printer it is Inkjet paper, and inkjet is plain paper and so on.

The only exception is for printer manufacturer's own premium glossy when I tell the truth!

Stuartli 17:30 13 Mar 2006

I find that Aldi's A4 Rex brand 200 g/sm glossy photo pager at £4.99 for 50 sheets to be excellent.

GaT7 18:46 13 Mar 2006

SVP £4.75, using the UK Royal Mail option - click here.

I think I'll have the glossy.

Yes, I though of the sample pack, but they appear much lower value than going for the 260gsm 20/40 pack.

SVP sample pack x14(only) click here = £6.00

The best is the Aldi price, but unfortunately I cannot get to one.

So it's down to these:

* SVP 260gsm x50 click here = £9.38
* SVP 260gsm x40 click here = £8.40
* SVP 210gsm x50 click here = £7.41
* Novatech 200gsm x50 click here = £7.67
(I'd seen your earlier thread wallbash click here).
* Argos 255gsm x40(after bogof) click here £9.99 (I can get this immediately, thro store pickup)

The SVP 260gsms appear the best. Will leave the thread open a while longer to consider more options. Thanks again, G

GaT7 18:48 13 Mar 2006

Sorry, didn't refresh! G

GaT7 20:18 21 Mar 2006

Thanks for getting back pj123.

Initially I settled for 8x A4 230gsm Photo paper for £1.50 from our local Wilkinson (yes, Wilko of all places!), & then got some gloss-cum-matt 40x A4 235gsm paper off eBay for £4.50 delivered.

Forgot to mention that this is my first attempt at photo printing. Didn't think I could afford it really, but with 2 HP ink cartridges (1xcolour & 1xphoto) for £6-7 (all incl) off eBay & relatively inexpensive paper I thought I couldn't do much wrong! Photo cartridge is on it's way, so haven't done any printing yet. G

GaT7 19:01 25 Mar 2006

Thanks all. This has all ended in tears. Couldn't get prints anywhere near photo quality - they were quite horrible to be honest.

I'm putting it down to a possibly defunct printer of more than 5 years - it still prints non-photo jobs well enough though. Tried everything from getting more cartridges, to aligning & cleaning them to changing paper & settings.

Time to buy a new printer, or forget about home photo printing for the moment & continue to use the online photo companies that have been excellent & economical so far. G

GaT7 19:03 25 Mar 2006

Giving this a ticking off, but any more info or advice gratefully received - I'll keep checking for new posts from time to time. G

GaT7 19:59 31 Mar 2006

OK, I know not what I did but it's printing better, but still a LOT to be desired.

wallbash, thanks. I may heed your advice a few Springs down the line. The online photo outlets are far more economical (aren't they?), & more so if one uses the many free offers click here ; ) G

oresome 20:41 31 Mar 2006

Unless you're prepared to go with paper from the printer manufacturer, getting good results requires quite a bit of trial and error........so don't buy paper in large quantities until you're satisfied with the results.

I've always found the paper to have a greater influence on the end result than using either a original or compatible cartridge.

For standard size prints, commercial operators are much more cost effective. Save the home printing for enlargements.

GaT7 21:03 31 Mar 2006

Thanks oresome, will keep that in mind for the future. About buying paper in large quantities - that's too late I'm afraid, but fortunately didn't spend too much. G

IF ANYONE RECKONS 2X NEARLY NEW HP PHOTO NUMBER 16 (HP C1816A) INK CARTRIDGES WOULD BE USEFUL, PM ME BY CLICKING ON THE LITTLE YELLOW ENVELOPE NEXT TO MY USERNAME WITH YOUR NAME & ADDRESS - I'LL SEND THEM OVER FOR FREE.

NOTE: NO16 is compatible with click here (& scroll down). To work, it also requires a standard working colour cartridge to be installed in the printer as well (a black cartridge will not do).

If this doesn't get a response in the next few days I'll post a fresh thread, which the FE will hopefully allow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)