PC World "PC Performance" cover

cactusjack 04:06 19 Dec 2004

Hello everyone,

I am looking at the HP Office Jet 6110 printer sold by PC World. An option is given to take out cover (called "PC Performance") for £49 for 3 years. Is it really worth taking out this cover? The printer is priced at £174.99, which is a fair amount of money. Last year, I bought a HP printer for around £60, and therefore didn't bother with cover, since if it broke after a year, then I wouldn't be too bothered. However, parting with £174.99 is a different story. Do you think it is value for money to take out PC World's cover on the printer?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Derek 08:07 19 Dec 2004

My experience is that when a printer goes wrong, you want it working and repaired within hours.
You have to study your useage, is it commercial.
All my printers have never lasted three years and I've had many, since most printers start to give little signs that they are getting towards 'bedtime', it's always a good idea to do some research in replacing it remembering that, the latest printers are bound to be improved on the one you are replacing, if you do your research well.
I would consider paying less and accept a 'clawback' over two years. I'll give you a good example. I have an HP 1220C which is an office machine and when new it cost a £210. It's now 30 months old and done good service until a month ago It started to lose it's registration on card printing, (perhaps a roller or pick up problem). I now have a Canon Pixma IP4000 and bought it for £108 delivered. This printer far outstrips the HP both in quality and spec and is slightly cheaper to run. I use "Eurocarts" ink and I have no complaints......I now have two printers both connected via usb, they both stay switched on permantly, and I can choose which to use at will.

Hope all this helps.

Diodorus Siculus 09:44 19 Dec 2004

If anything goes wrong within 6 months, the problem is assumed to have been there at new so it is the responsibility of the retailer to sort it out for you. And it will have a one year warranty anyway.

As I see it, if anything is likely to fail, it will probably do so within the first few months. I have a deskjet 930c running for about 4 years on fairly constant use with a mixture of hp cartridges and refils and there has been no problems.

Tilly Flop 23:25 02 Jun 2005

I also have a problem with the PC World "PC Performance" cover regarding my Packard Bell IMEDIA 1324 computer I bought on 15/4/05. I was pursuaded to take out the PC Performance at £6.99 per month, but later decided to cancel the agreement as I felt any repairs should be covered with the warranty. I have since received a letter telling me that continuing the agreement "really does make sense" & "why run the risk of everyday mishaps". Worryingly the monthly amount has gone down to £4.99 so if I hadn't cancelled the agreement I'd have paid an extra £24.00 per year. It's made me question my decision to cancel the agreement which is no doubt what the letter was intending to do. Surely I'm covered for repairs under my warranty without having to pay out additional expenses?

Any advise would be welcomed.

Tilly Flop 23:25 02 Jun 2005

I also have a problem with the PC World "PC Performance" cover regarding my Packard Bell IMEDIA 1324 computer I bought on 15/4/05. I was pursuaded to take out the PC Performance at £6.99 per month, but later decided to cancel the agreement as I felt any repairs should be covered with the warranty. I have since received a letter telling me that continuing the agreement "really does make sense" & "why run the risk of everyday mishaps". Worryingly the monthly amount has gone down to £4.99 so if I hadn't cancelled the agreement I'd have paid an extra £24.00 per year. It's made me question my decision to cancel the agreement which is no doubt what the letter was intending to do. Surely I'm covered for repairs under my warranty without having to pay out additional expenses?

Any advise would be welcomed.

davidg_richmond 08:52 03 Jun 2005

TILLY FLOP - You pay the cover for the additional years of warranty AFTER the one year, BUT because you are paying for it in the first year while you have a warranty it also gives you accidental damage cover and theft insurance (no excess i believe), also (i think) access to software helplines for a national rate instead of £1 per minute. You could spend more than the cover amount getting the laptop insured so investigate and make up your mind on all the features.

CACTUS JACK - when I worked for the Dixons Group HP printers under cover were repaired by HP under contract onsite. This may have changed as many HP printers became instant-replacement, so check this out with the store by asking the salesman to check the repair-route of the individual product. Printers are mechanical items and can have problems due to wear and tear in later years, but that is all down to usage - the more you use it the more likely it is to fail. I also had an HP 930c that is still going since early 2001 on average usage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)