PC Advisor peer 2 peer poll

vaughan007 12:31 25 Apr 2003

Hello again everyone,

Thought I would start another one :P

Perhaps it will become as good a debate as the audio poll thread did.

Anyway, now to the points.

I think the main point about revealing the identity of heavy P2P users is that just because they exchange a large volume of data does not mean it is wrong. It might be perfectly legal data. Imagine exchanging a 2gb home movie with a relative over P2P and then getting a visit from the P2P gaurdians the next day just to check it was not copyright stuff.

Secondly, what would count as heavy?

Can ISP's tell when data has come through P2P and not some other way like from websites or online gaming for example?

Where would the money come from to analyse all our internet usage like this? I imagine monitoring everyone like this would be a fairly big (and expensive) task (?).

I cant wait for this one to start :-)

vinnyT 12:47 25 Apr 2003

I have never used p2p in any of it's forms, however, like you say there are perfectly legitimate reasons for using this.

Youe 2nd point, 'what would count as heavy?' I would be more interested in who decides what counts as heavy.

vinnyT 12:47 25 Apr 2003

I have never used p2p in any of it's forms, however, like you say there are perfectly legitimate reasons for using this.

Your 2nd point, 'what would count as heavy?' I would be more interested in who decides what counts as heavy.

vinnyT 12:49 25 Apr 2003

Sorry, noticed typo, tried to stop, corrected typo, reposted, double post.

Goldcroft 12:51 25 Apr 2003

Agree with you. Unless there is analysis of what is being downloaded then there could be no illegality involved at all, in which case it would be quite wrong to name innocent people. And who is it proposed to name them to? Think the poll question, as is so often the case, is not phrased accurately enough. As it stands it is meaningless.

vaughan007 13:29 25 Apr 2003

You would name them to the "peer 2 peer gaurdians"....thought that was obvious :P

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:44 25 Apr 2003

It is easier to send text and personal files by email. P2P, in spite of what anyone may think to the contrary, is probably only used for sharing songs and movies. Both acts are illegal. 'Nuff said. If you are sending innocent files there is no earthly reason to use P2P...email is safer and quicker. Would anyone like to give a good, legal reason for using P2P rather than email.

As usual, the poll is NOT scientific, merely a straw poll and it should be viewed in that way without the usual dissection of the verbiage.

G

watchful 13:51 25 Apr 2003

No verbiage (good one that!)

I agree.

Goldcroft 14:06 25 Apr 2003

Verbiage. After the shower of rain today there'll be a lot of that popping up.

Seriously, if what GANDALF says is right - ie: everything connected with P2P is illegal - then why aren't Kazaa and other such sites closed down.

PS: Even a straw poll - according to my friend who is ex-NOP - can be phrased in such a way as to get meaningful results.

Murray 14:17 25 Apr 2003

As vaughan007 said in his post - If I wanted to send a 2GB home movie to my Aunt in Australia, I think the email system would not cope with it. There's you're legitimate use for p2p - I'm not saying that all of p2p usage is 100% legal, far from it, but you cannot condemn it outright, just becasue it's main use is illegal.

Certainly P2P software is designed for handling bigger files, so would cope better

vaughan007 14:18 25 Apr 2003

Just using a tool that can be used for illegal exchange of files does not mean you are using it illegally.

Also......innocent until proven guilty is the law of the land.

So, revealing the identities of heavy P2P users would go against this as it would be suggesting guilt without any proof.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)