Paypal phishing email.

Forum Editor 18:17 29 Sep 2008

In common with hundreds of thousands of other people I have received what is probably one of the most convincing phishing emails I've ever seen.

It purports to come from PayPal, and looks exactly like a real PayPal email. The 'From' address is: [email protected] and the text reads:

In order to operate the PayPal service and to reduce the risk of fraud, PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. ("PayPal" or "we"), the data controller, must ask you to provide us information about yourself and your credit or debit card. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that we meet the obligations required by country-specific legislation and the EU Directive on Personal Data Privacy. By clicking on the link below you are providing PayPal verification of your details.

The link points to: dsmachinery.co.kr

If you receive such an email, delete it and forget it.

GaT7 18:55 29 Sep 2008

I've noticed most, if not all, genuine PayPal emails will have your full registered name in the 'To' &/or 'Subject' fields. Of course, this doesn't always guarantee it's genuine.

Official PayPal phishing guide for all click here. G

danbrazier 18:35 20 Oct 2008

I've had a few of these recently - most email clients now will give you the option to show more information about the sended...

Click the appropriate button and it will drop down with the sender's actual address, as it is quite easy to make your emails appear as if they're coming from somewhere different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming