Overseas purchases and VAT

TopCat® 16:18 03 Dec 2008

Just a small reminder to check the VAT rate applied to purchases online from abroad, especially downloaded software. A few sites I've checked haven't reduced it yet, so it pays to be vigilant before clicking that confirm button. TC.

lofty29 16:50 03 Dec 2008

Surely overseas purchases are not covered by UK vat rules, except where they are stopped by uk customs at point of entry.

TopCat® 17:01 03 Dec 2008

No, the EU have for some time now ordered most overseas companies selling to the UK to include the current VAT rate on purchases. I think this edict would apply to other EU countries as well. TC.

beeuuem 17:20 03 Dec 2008

It depends on the items being obtained.
If you buy a CD,say, from an EU country the VAT rate should be that of the country where the CD is delivered.click here
If you buy a service then the VAT rate is that of the country where the supplier is based.
So when you download software are you buying a physical item or a service?
Argue amongst yourselves!

TopCat® 17:20 03 Dec 2008

Here's a link concerning VAT on downloaded software and licences from overseas suppliers - click here TC.

lofty29 20:12 03 Dec 2008

A bit heavy for me, I always thought that VAT if applicable was charged at the rates applying at the point of origin within the EU, well that is what has happened a couple of times when I bought goods from the continent online. And for non-EU is charged along with duty at the point of entry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts