Opinions on Plusnet or other 'good' deals?.

spuds 12:35 06 Dec 2015
Answered

Having had a whole mass of problems with the ISP I use, and these seem to be getting worse by the day. I am now seriously considering going to another ISP, and Plusnet seems to tick most boxes.

While Plusnet is part of the BT organisation, I realise that it is run as an independent company, but I would assume customer service would be that little better, when or if problems happen?.

So question: Do you use Plusnet or any other ISP that you would recommend. At present,this is a package I am looking at, but the offer is due to finish shortly click here

rdave13 13:02 06 Dec 2015

I've been with Plusnet for a few years now and upgraded to fibre 18 months ago. Top notch customer service and they speak good english in Yorkshire. I use their broadband only and stuck with BT for the phone line. That's my experience with them.

spuds 13:26 06 Dec 2015

rdave13

Having had a further look, I am getting more convinced that I should possibly consider the linked package, because it seems to cover my needs. But having said that I dread having to contact the various people who have my original email address.

My present ISP seems to suggest that fibre optic will stop my present problems, but I am not sure if this would be true, having already had a number of occasions of false information.

The package I am considering, but what worries me, is the 18 month contract. click here

exdragon 13:27 06 Dec 2015

I'm another Plusnet user - I've never had any problems with them. Customer service has always been good, questions answered promptly (not merely read from a script which bears no resemblance to your enquiry!) and changes to contract dealt with efficiently. I've had their phone and broadband package (not fibre) for a long time. If you look at reviews on their website, you wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, but I (and several people I know who also use them) have nothing but praise for them.

spuds 13:29 06 Dec 2015

Whoops = Unlimited fibre 38Mb with all day telephone

spuds 13:31 06 Dec 2015

exdragon

The reviews do seem a little harsh in some cases, but I suppose its natural to not give praise, if any or most users have no complaints!.

alanrwood 15:41 06 Dec 2015

If you go ADSL watch out for the throttled download speeds during the day. When I was with them I had to pay £5 a month extra so they did not throttle me. It might have changed as I left them about 2 years ago so well worth checking out first. Of course it should not be a problem with fibre.

Jollyjohn 16:07 06 Dec 2015

I can recommend Plusnet, have been with them for 8 years on a phone and broadband package. Recently upgraded to fibre, very good. With fibre you get a BT Openreach modem connected to a Sagem router. Sadly the firmware Plusnet put on the router limits it's options. I bought a TP Link VDSL modem / router and it works fine.

spuds 16:13 06 Dec 2015

Thanks everyone for the inputs so far. Very much appreciated.

It would be interesting to know, if other Plusnet user's had similar router problems highlighted by Jollyjohn.

Bazzaman 16:59 06 Dec 2015

Restricting the functionality of the router is not uncommon (I'm pretty sure other ISPs do it).

I've been with Plusnet for a number of years (on the basic 8Mbps copper / 10GB per month deal). They supplied a Thomson TG585-v7 router, but it was tightly locked down to what PlusNet wanted you to have access to (it might even be that it is "locked" to PlusNet and so might not even work with another ISP). I just use an old 3com router I've had for years. Works just as well and a far better router.

ajm 00:52 07 Dec 2015

I can high recommend Zen Internet. Not the cheapest but their rock solid fibre service combined with fantastic customer support made it worthwhile, for me anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs SSD