Office 2010 end of support Oct 13 2020

x13 17:30 26 Oct 2019

Decided to install Office 2010 on a secondary laptop so dug out my key and found the download link buried at the bottom of the Microsoft site dodging the 360 push :)

Anyway there were a lot of updates to download and at the very bottom of the list was the Service Pack 2 which had downloaded and installed first and waiting for a reboot. The other updates won't install until the SP2 has after a reboot. The rest then install in no particular order. Just a heads up if you still have the 2010 version and might find it useful for a secondary machine. Click here .

mrgrumpy 23:24 26 Oct 2019

Hello x13 our paths have crossed many times on different postings.

You tell people about end of support , note I am not having a dig at you but I don't think end of support matters depending on what you are doing , I am still using home office student 2007.

This is the reason why , in the whole package I only use word so why should I buy or pay monthly for the latest package. I know other word type programs are around.

As I understand it you can only get attacked through an outdated package if you open something sent to you in an email such as an attachment.

My No.1 rule is don't open any attachment you were not expecting.

Rule 2 , so that your pc don't get trashed , open a suspect email on a tablet or a spare pc.

I get word attachments from people I know but I never open them on my main pc because one day I got an email from a pal with a confused subject line so I phone her and she said I have not sent you anything !

BTW ignore 3 user licence , I paid for the program so I can do what ever I want , install software as many times as you want using the keycode, I used my package about 10 times, input keycode , open word …… not gonna tell you the next bit in case I get into trouble but work it out for yourself.

x13 23:58 26 Oct 2019

grumpy old man it's just a heads up post for those that use the 2016 or 2019 versions and have an old backup laptop and they happen to have a licence for 2010 . At least it will be up to date when support ends. That's all. I do know how to use unsupported software and various tricks of the trade but that wasn't the purpose of this thread.

Forum Editor 12:24 27 Oct 2019

People who do not use MS Office for much more than the occasional Word document can manage perfectly well with older versions, provided they understand the potential dangers facing them when MS support comes to an end.

Anyone who thinks that unsupported software vulnerabilities can only be exploited by email attachments is potentially inviting a nasty surprise. Similarly,firewalls and anti-virus applications offer no protection against unpatched vulnerabilities.

If you use MS Office to any appreciable extent you would be wise to get the latest version, and keep it updated. Office 365 is the best thing that ever happened to regular users of Office applications.

mrgrumpy 15:01 27 Oct 2019

Hello FE , depending on your reply to me you might want to answer me in a private message so would be hackers don't get any silly ideas.

As previously stated I only use word so if I only use it for work I do on my pc and don't open any word docs in attachments can you explain why I could be putting myself at risk.

Forum Editor 15:35 27 Oct 2019

"...you might want to answer me in a private message so would be hackers don't get any silly ideas."

Why on earth would I want to do that?

As for your comment about not opening Word docs in email attachments - I will happily explain where you are giving yourself a false sense of security. It isn't necessary for you to open an email attachment in order for a vulnerability in Word to be exploited. Hackers can use a Microsoft Office vulnerability to distribute backdoor malware which they can use to control an infected system and provide attackers with the ability to extract files, execute commands and so on. An unsupported version of an Office application will not have the latest exploit patches, and will therefore be at increased risk.

You can obviously choose to ignore that risk, but I have to ensure that your advice to other forum users is not based on an incorrect understanding of how security breaches can occur.

My advice to anyone is always to use the most up-to-date version of a software application that you can afford. A subscription to Office 365 Personal version costs just over £1 per week - hardly a fortune in this day and age. It gets you the Premium versions of Office applications, and you are always using the very latest version. You can install the software on all your computers and your phone, and use it online on any computer that is connected to the internet. You also get 1TB of free Cloud storage included.

Frankly, it's a bargain.

Pine Man 11:14 28 Oct 2019

Frankly, it's a bargain.

Couldn't agree more. I have it on my Mac, PC, two iPhones and an iPad.

mrgrumpy 13:38 28 Oct 2019

Ok guys thanks for your feedback i said i was still using the 2007 package , i done some surfing and was suprised to find the 2019 version was the cheapest on microsofts own site.

Bearing in mind how many pc's i used 2007 on i guess i ought to do the decent thing and give them some money and of course i will be up to date.

mrgrumpy 13:40 28 Oct 2019

I was suprised their own site was the cheapest as this does not happen with anti virus software , own sites ussually cost more

HondaMan 12:28 29 Oct 2019

I have the Family pack which gives me 5 copies. one on my main Mac and one on each laptop, plus, I run Windows 7 and 10 via Parallels desktop and have a copy on each of those. For my £96 per annum, I think that is good value! AND it's always up to date.

Pine Man 15:31 29 Oct 2019

HM

Are you aware that Office 365 T&Cs changed recently?

I pay £59.99 for the Home version and, in there words, 'You can install Office on all your devices and be signed in to 5 at the same time.'

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique