An OCR app capable of dealing with long docs.

1936 19:38 19 Nov 2019

I am studying a subject where I'm constantly finding documents up to 500 pages long which I need to be able to copy paragraphs from to work with and one can’t do that with PDF documents therefore I need an OCR application and as I’m not a latter day Einstein it needs to be reasonably easy to operate. I started to look for free applications and soon found they would only offer three pages or so before asking me to pay for a commercial application. No problem with that but if they claim to be free then free they should be. I thought that I may find something with Microsoft or Windows and that as I use Windows 10 if there were such applications such OCR applications may be more effective. My wish list is as follows: A free Microsoft possibly Windows 10 OCR application. A paid for Microsoft possibly Windows 10 OCR application. If anyone considers that there are better OCR applications than Microsoft or Windows 10 I would be happy to consider them free or paid for. PS I read that some scanners carry an OCR application. I have an Epson GT 1500 and am not clever enough to work out if that is so with my scanner.

BRYNIT 12:42 20 Nov 2019

Do you have Office 2016 or above, if so right click on the pdf file and select open with/chose another app/more apps and select word the PDF will open after a while and you will be able to copy and paste from it. Due to page size and fonts available you may find a slight change in pages and layout.

1936 14:54 20 Nov 2019

I have Office 2010 not Office 2010. Will it work?

x13 15:19 20 Nov 2019

Have a look at this thread, link , tried many apps but the best one I could find was Talkhelper. About £30. You can trial it free (with watermarks) and seems to work well. Unfortunately the thread starter didn't give any feedback on the help I offered.

1]: [click here

BRYNIT 17:18 20 Nov 2019

Had a quick search and found that Office 2010 is not capable of converting a PDF file, only from office 2016 was the option added.

1936 17:38 20 Nov 2019

Firstly all my thanks to those who offered help and advice. Eventually I decided to try PDFZilla and I have to admit that was primarily because it is inexpensive. I found it easy to download and even easier to convert a 450 page Doc.
One little niggle is I have not been able to work out how to get the doc to justify yet.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !