Obtaining supplies of special electric car plugs!

spuds 12:14 21 Oct 2015
Answered

In a bit of a dilemma here, and am hoping that a forum member can come to the rescue, with possible advice of a good supplier of vehicle electrical components, like special plugs and connectors.

Please not Maplins, because they do not stock what I need.

I am fitting a towbar on a Land Rover Freelander, and I do not want to got the route of solder or scotch-lok the necessary wire cabling. Land Rover have provided an electrical connection via a pinned socket, at the rear of the vehicle. Its the matching plug that I am trying to get, but for some reason is proving rather difficult to get. And this is were I am hoping someone can help.

I would point out that I can purchased the plug, but this comes complete with all the wiring and 7 pin socket, plus fixing bar. I do not need these extra items, because I already have a number of these readily available, just the connecting plug.

Visiting a couple of car accessory shops, and rummaging through the stocks, new and obsolete have led nowhere.Even vehicle radio and hi-fi connectors have not provided an answer.

To give an idea of what I am talking about, it's the little white plastic connector at the end of the cable in the eBay advert click here

cruiser2 19:00 21 Oct 2015

Try Vehicle Wiring Products based in Ilkeston. Phone 0115-930-5454. On their web site it shows what you may want costing £1.53

spuds 19:04 21 Oct 2015

Thanks cruiser, I look at their website later.

This is the plug in question click here and this is the capped socket click here

spuds 23:18 21 Oct 2015

Cruiser2 - Looked at the plug, and its not the one. What I might do, is to contact the company tomorrow, and see what they suggest.

Looked at other websites and it's proving difficult.

rdave13 00:10 22 Oct 2015

Any good scrap yards locally? Google vomited this site. but I suppose the part is part of a unit as usual.

john bunyan 10:15 22 Oct 2015

We had a local trailer sales shop - Indespension - that sold individual items such as yours; they have moved away, but if you have a local trailer sales place, they may help.

spuds 10:18 22 Oct 2015

rdave13

I have tried to use Rimmer Bros previously, but they seem reluctant to respond to emails, and don't seem to carry a full range of components.

With regards to scrapyards, I have a couple of very good contacts for Land Rover parts. If they have any towbars available, they usually try and send all components attached to the towbars, to the people buying the towbar, hence no spare stock of the plug.

I have emailed three other companies, two cannot help, and the one in cruiser2 link, I am still waiting a reply for any suggestions that they may have. I was speaking to a neighbour yesterday, who as a friend working for a local Land Rover dealer, who is going to make an enquiry, but I have been warned, the plug from them, if stocked, will not be cheap.

spuds 10:22 22 Oct 2015

john bunyan

Been along that route without success, unless I want to buy the full 'dedicated' kit, which would be about £50/£70. The one in the link I provided earlier, is about half that price, but that still doesn't justify the various prices being asked, when I only want the plug.

spuds 09:57 23 Oct 2015
Answer

In this day and age, you would not think it impossible to draw a blank on trying to get a simple plastic electrical plug, unless I buy a full 'dedicated' kit at great expense.

I still have feelers out on this, but so far, with little success. Even the companies who advertise a large range of vehicle electrical plugs, sockets have been unable to offer an alternative.

I suppose in the end, it might be a case of Scotch-Lok, solder or electrical connector strip!.

spuds 11:17 25 Oct 2015

After having very little success, including approaching Land Rover part stockists, I have come up with the 'very near' alternative click here least going that route, instead of the 'dedicated' route, it would seem like I have saved at least £26.00!.

At

rdave13 16:10 25 Oct 2015

Nice one spuds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France