NTL Frequent Disconnection

Pesala 23:23 22 Jun 2004

I called the engineer out on 10th June. I thought he had fixed it, but my connection still seems bad. How often does your's drop?

I started keeping a log of every time it disconnects. I have to reboot my PC to get back online. So far, always able to get back on. I called out the engineer because I wasn't able to get on line the whole day.

Internet Disconnection Log: Tuesday 22nd June

15:58; 16:52; 21:03; 22:56;

Four times in seven hours. Is that acceptable for NTL Home Broadband on USB? The NTL speed test from click here is running slow too:

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 05:23:49 GMT

1st 128K took 123690 ms = 1060 Bytes/sec = approx 9 kbits/sec

2nd 128K took 21910 ms = 5982 Bytes/sec = approx 50 kbits/sec

3rd 128K took 16650 ms = 7872 Bytes/sec = approx 65 kbits/sec

4th 128K took 19000 ms = 6899 Bytes/sec = approx 57 kbits/sec

[email protected] 00:50 23 Jun 2004

What speed is your connection suppposed to be. Disconnecting that often is totaly unacceptable for an "always on" broadband connection that should never disconnect.

Try a speed test on here and post the results click here

Pesala 05:04 23 Jun 2004

The test results are half what I know is possible.

Pesala 07:35 23 Jun 2004

"On the morning of Wednesday 23rd June between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:- Network upgrades in the Seven Kings and Waltham Park areas may result in a loss of service for some customers in those areas."

I live in Seven Kings. Hopefully, the upgrade will fix the problems I have been having.

Hopefully, the upgrade will fix the problems I have been having.

danpep5552 10:29 24 Jun 2004

My BB is constantly dropping currently. Once for nearly 36 hours. 4 phone calls to NTL all with response of low signal in the area being worked on by engineers. Funny my next door neighbour has not had a problem. NTL say she is not a customer. She says why is she paying them 17.99 per month. It is fun constantly rebooting the desk top in the hope its that and not NTL.

Pesala 19:19 25 Jun 2004

Waited fifteen minutes or so, then got cut off. Another £4.07 down the drain. I've been in this new address for a little over two months and spent £16 on phone calls already. I cannot afford a landline; that is why I am still on Cable internet, not one of the ADSL alternatives.

I asked my friend to call them earlier. No can do, I have to call. What can one do with this company?

I tried Broadband Medic. Cannot help on this issue. Have to call support to get the engineer. Engineer came on 10th June, but connection still drops.

This is what the server status page says:

"On the morning of Wednesday 23rd June between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:- Network upgrades in the Seven Kings and Waltham Park areas may result in a loss of service for some customers in those areas."

So what have they upgraded exactly if my service is still so bad?

Pesala 10:56 26 Jun 2004

I finally got through to Support this morning, did a few tests etc. Speed problems probably caused by maintenance work. Connection problem caused by USB connection to the modem. Better to use Ethernet.

Danoh 00:05 28 Jun 2004

I'm on 600kb NTL, using USB as my PC does not have a network card for Ethernet connection. Had early installation related issues (last summer) but none since. So don't know why they would point at Ethernet for the fault? Ethernet is better than USB for throughput but USB should not create any connection faults though!!

Still getting occasional email service outages.

BrianW 20:05 28 Jun 2004

I have been fighting with daily / frequent NTL drop-out and lock-up for over 2 months now. Set-top box to ethernet card connection.

Eventually I wrote a very strong letter to Customer Services demanding a rebate and a solution to the problem.

Not only did they agree to a 2 month rebate but they seem to have resolved the problem by doing away with the set-top box connection in favour of a modem. Apparently there is a known problem with set-top boxes causing this sort of difficulty when there are system slow-downs / problems (something to do with the "return signal")

If you still have problems this may help.

Pesala 10:20 29 Jun 2004

However, I use a cable modem.

We shall have to wait and see if an Ethernet connection solves the problem. I will post back when I get it.

snowy30 18:14 30 Jun 2004

And he's connected to NTL broadband cable using a 600 speed. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?