NORTON Antiviur/Firewall - Renewals

dewskit 10:23 04 May 2004

I logged on to the Norton LiveUpdate site this morning and although my Subscription still has 58 days to run according to their screen, I am being asked to renew my Subscription.
Fair enough I suppose, although it does seem a little premature.
Once you start following the prompts however it tells you that Antivirus 2001 is no longer being supported and recommends upgrading.
OK Let's take have a look at their Special Offer Upgrade price - and what do you get? A price in Euros with no indication of whether it is inclusive of VAT. This effectively makes it impossible to search around the discount retailers to see if a cheaper alternative is available.
I then attempted to reach someone to clarify this in their London office, whereupon you are straight into one of those infuriating automated call systems, apparently manned (?personned?) by someone with a strong Irish accent suffering from severe laryngitis.
After ten minutes and getting fed up with the cr*p music (which was much louder than the voice) I gave up.
I have found Norton Anti Virus and Personal Firewall to be excellent products in the past, but after this performance I am seriously considering whether to opt for AVG and Zone Alarm instead.
Anyone else suffered this infuriating run-around

Tony

byfordr 10:54 04 May 2004

don't bother renewing! Get a new version click here very nice prices, ordered before on friday delivered early saturday. Just order some more Norton stuff on saturday. (It looks like it won't be dispatched for a few days as a knock on from the bank holiday)

HTH

R

Stuartli 10:55 04 May 2004

Not now...:-)

AVG and ZA free versions do all that I require.

Stuartli 11:02 04 May 2004

I would be somewhat apprehensive about using a company that advertises a CD-ROM drive as "a storage solution"...:-)

Stuartli 11:12 04 May 2004

The firm is not back in action until May 10th...

byfordr 11:25 04 May 2004

Was a bit suspious myself but the disk turned up the next day, and is fully working and receiving updates from symantec. Looks exactly the same as a copy I had purchased in a shop. I've seen better prices on Ebay but would rather not take the risk.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?