No refund for item bought as Xmas present.

The Bookman 16:48 21 Jan 2005

We bought a Radeon 9200 Se series graphics card from Savastore.com about 2 weeks before christmas. This was bought as a present for one of the family. When he tried to install it in his computer it did not fit the slot. Subsequent investigation showed that we had bought an AGP card when we needed a PCI one. I checked Savastore's website - there was no indication on the item page that it needed a particular slot. When ordering I had entered "Radeon 9200 SE series" into their search and had selected the 128 mb card, at no point did it give me a choice of slot types.
I contacted Watford immediately after Xmas, using their online returns system. 3 weeks and several e-mails later I had received no reply. Today I phoned Watford - having eventually got their customer service no. - to be told that I could not have a refund since it was outside the 7 day cooling off period. I explained that since it had been bought as a present we were not aware that it was the wrong item and needed returning until the present was opened on Christmas Day. They said this didn't make any difference.
Surely some allowance should be made for special circumstances, especially as their website was not particularly clear that there were 2 different types of card for different slots?
Is there anyway I can get them to accept the item back for a refund or at least part exchange it for the correct one? - which I notice is priced about £10 higher

TomJerry 17:35 21 Jan 2005

do not think you stand any chance although I agree with you (a) beyond 7 days cooling off period (b) they are just a retailer and they did not give any advice so not responsible for what you buy

are you sure it cannot fit, the computer must be very old if it does not have an agp slot

Bleep 17:45 21 Jan 2005

You are trying to put it in the brown slot like here : click here

Again it would have to be very old, or a dell, to have no AGP slot.

As for a refund no chance, put it on ebay your get around £25 from it.

bremner 18:26 21 Jan 2005

"I checked Savastore's website - there was no indication on the item page that it needed a particular slot."

Unfortunately if you look at the entry for any graphics card on the site you will see at the top under the search box a path which clearly indicates the catagory of card.

For example click here Components > Graphics Cards > AGP

Looking at the T & C click here

If you look under 'Items no longer required' it says at the bottom "A restocking fee of up to 25% of the original invoice value may be levied on item(s) returned after 7 days of the goods being delivered."

This surely indicates a willingness to accept returns outside of the seven day period.

I would take a conciliatory postion with them and see what you can get back.

oresome 21:15 21 Jan 2005

Whilst sympathising with you, it's prudent to excercise the same precautions as you would with a high street retailer when purchasing presents. That is, explain the circumstances before purchase to see if the item can be returned some time later if not suitable.

The Bookman 22:52 21 Jan 2005

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I checked with my nephew, his machine is only 18 months old, so not exactly ancient - we just seem to be unlucky. I don't know that I can be bothered with all the hassle of contacting Savastore again! I reckon I'll follow Bleep's advice and stick it on e-bay - I hadn't considered that - at least that way I'll get some of my money back towards purchasing the right card.

josie mayhem 23:04 21 Jan 2005

What computer does your nephew have, an 18 month old machine should ahve an agp slot, more likley only a x4 slot, but it should be there!

spuds 00:45 22 Jan 2005

You could have perhaps got some redress via the Sales of Goods Act [not fit for the purpose]. If the site actually had the slot information at time of purchase, then you would have a difficult claim to prove. Regarding the 7 day issue of the Distance Selling Act, I think that you may have a consideration of 7 'working days', so the Christmas period may have given you further days, especially how different companies opened and closed their business's over the Christmas and New Year period.Could be wrong there, but it would be worth considering.

If you wanted to pursue the matter or even check 'for the next time', then I would consult trading standards for further advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?