New printer needed to replace Canon i550

[DELETED] 16:11 31 Dec 2005

I'm looking for a printer to replace my old Canon i550 - used mainly for letters and some photographs. The i550 was ideal, but now worn out!
I had considered a Canon Pixma ip4200, but was put off when I found it had 'chipped' carts and only 'originals' were available (at considerable cost - a set costs almost as much as the printer, with its carts included!!).
Anyone any suggestions?

[DELETED] 17:49 31 Dec 2005

Yes, I agree. Which is why I stick with Epson.

You can get Canon ip4200 cartridges here for around £10 each and as you say almost as much as a new printer.

Stuartli 17:59 31 Dec 2005

I recently got an Epson R300 (same print engine as R200 and 220) after researching compatible cartridges prices (Epson has six cartridges which, at its prices, are close to £50 a set).

I've found several sources selling cartridges at prices from around 99p to £1.99 each - the set I'm using at the moment are the 99p each examples and, so far, I'm impressed with the photos which I've printed.

Trying another brand when these run out.

[DELETED] 18:39 31 Dec 2005

I will have a look into the Epson range, was happy with the Canon 'EasyPrint' package though.
Been temporarily using a Dell 720, but it's print layouts do not suit my needs for photo printing (was only £9.99 delivered!!) and I had hoped to keep using a Canon - but not at the 'chipped' prices.
Thanks, guys and a Happy New Year.

[DELETED] 19:08 31 Dec 2005

Are often on offer (not every week) at £19-£26 a set of 6 carts, (last set cost me £21.90 incl.del).
they also supply compatible continuous flow ink system kits for heavy users

click here

Stuartli 20:55 31 Dec 2005

I can get three sets for about £21...:-)

See:

click here

There is an offer for three sets.

I'm using this type of compatible at the moment (supplied with the printer)

Stuartli 20:56 31 Dec 2005

Just noticed you stated originals...:-(

However, as the normal cost would be at least twice that price I wonder how it's done.....?

[DELETED] 21:20 31 Dec 2005

Thats right I said originals,Ive been buying from inktec for 8 months now,and never had a problem.

My first set for the R300 was just £18,I also buy my son & daughters carts from them (Eps.photo 915\Stylus c86) although the biggest saving has always been for the Rxxx range.

AS they don't always have them, I registered to be emailed when the stock list changed

[DELETED] 21:43 31 Dec 2005

I apologise for what seems like taking over your thread. Inktec also have special offers on canon oem carts as well,you just have to keep checking them out.

You can get a free Copy sample print,just email canon a photo and they sent a photo printed on whatever printer you select,epson do the same.

click here

Stuartli 22:48 31 Dec 2005

I've been to the Inktec website - original genuine Epson cartridges are £42.90 a set for the R200/300...:-)

click here

I do keep finding the words "original, compatible. remanufactured inkjet cartridges" though....

[DELETED] 09:19 01 Jan 2006

I see Epson are currently advertising on the pcadvisor site discounts of up to 40% on their inks if you buy a multipack

Are they finally getting the message and, more importantly, does anyone know if this is a short term offer or more permanent?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

The best backup software for Mac 2018

iOS 12 : comment créer et modifier des Memoji ?