New PC - ? eSata port broken ? Advice please

AroundAgain 18:41 25 Nov 2015
Answered

Hi

Only this afternoon, I have taken delivery of my new PC. I have carefully removed it from the packing/box and once out of the plastic bag, I noticed this e-Sata port at the top/front of the box. To my naive eye, it looks as if it has taken a bit of a bash. Please see photos

I will contact Novatech in the morning but I would appreciate your opinion as to what I should expect them to do about this. Although I don't currently have plans to use the port, I have no idea what I will be doing in the future and I might be needing it, of course. Anyway, being a newly manufactured PC, and not cheap either, I'm rather disappointed.

I do want to get this new PC set up and running and to then free my current PC as it has a new home already where it is wanted fairly much without delay (good medical reason for this)

So, is it likely that, in the event of them being prepared to fix this port, the PC will have to be returned for fixing? I can't check if it functions properly as I don't have any device to plug in.

Many thanks for your advice

AroundAgain 18:47 25 Nov 2015

Oops! Forgot the photos!!! ;)

href

AroundAgain 18:49 25 Nov 2015

Sorry, that link hasn't worked so here's another try

href 1

href 2

AroundAgain 18:51 25 Nov 2015

Bah Humbug - I'm doing something wrong Trying again (last time)

Photo 1

Photo 2

robin_x 22:26 25 Nov 2015

If it has been bashed, all sorts might be wrong. Needs replacing. Talk to them. They will have a Returns procedure.

AroundAgain 22:28 25 Nov 2015

Thanks, RobinX Yes, I'm going to phone them tomorrow. I can't see any evidence to suggest it's been knocked but I don't think it looks as it should. Have you looked at the photos? What do you think? Do you think it looks wrong/knocked? That's what I really want advice on. Thanks

robin_x 23:41 25 Nov 2015

I did look at the photos but couldn't really tell.

A detailed close up would help, perpendicular, (Camera in Macro mode possibly)

Compare with these images

click here

Govan1x 23:58 25 Nov 2015

Have to admit your images were not that easy to see properly even using a Magnifying glass.

have you tried it to see if it works or do you not want to turn it on till you get the problem solved.

AroundAgain 00:09 26 Nov 2015

Thanks Govan1x No, I don't have anything to test the port with as I've not had any use for one of these. Sometime in the future, maybe I will want use of it.

I haven't even switched the PC on yet because I will need to install programs before I can start doing anything with it and there's no point if Novatech are possibly going to take it back to fix it. I feel I need to talk to them first, which I will do in the morning.

I basically just wanted confirmation, or otherwise, that this looked damaged before I spoke to them tomorrow.

My apologies re the photos. I hadn't appreciated they would be so small and, as you could say, it took me a few attempts to post them (I've not had problems before) so I didn't feel I should post them yet again.

However, I have taken some more photos, and cropped them, including from above rather than from the side. Hopefully, you'll see THIS photo will show better detail.

Thanks

wee eddie 02:16 26 Nov 2015

Yeah, the right hand side has definitely been damaged, although it doesn't look as if the internal bits are out of kilter.

After speaking to the Manufacturer, email them that photo. I can't see them causing a problem

Secret-Squirrel 09:43 26 Nov 2015
Answer

Hopefully, you'll see THIS photo will show better detail.

Yes, that's a much better view. That damage is so minor that you could probably bend that metal part back into shape with a small screwdriver - make sure the PC is unplugged though.

If that works, and you're sure that there is no other damage to the PC (including dents and scratches to the case), then personally I'd be quite happy to accept that PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)