New Computer needed, Please Help with Specs..

russmini 18:33 18 Aug 2008

Ok, guys, as Title.

Think it's about time i looked at getting a New Computer. Things keep on Not Working etc...

The trouble is, i'm Broke at the moment, so it'll just be a Base/Tower/whatever else you want to call it.

The one i use at the moment is Old and Really Low on spec, so Anything would be Better to be Honest.

I Don't really do any major things on it, mainly Web Browsing and keeping my Pictures, Video etc on.

I Don't Download Music etc, but the usual things like Youtube are a daily visit.

Also, because of other, now More prominent Hobbies, i've really lost touch on whats what in Computer World, so...

Intel, AMD... Dual Core... Think you can see/Guess where i'm coming from...

Thanks in Advance to all.

Russ

GaT7 18:57 18 Aug 2008

Would you consider building your own?

Are you going to be playing PC games? If yes, which ones?

Do you need a monitor (TFT LCD? What size?), keyboard+mouse or other peripherals?

Do you have to store plenty of music, pics & videos?

Do you have any experience with Windows Vista? Does WinXP do all you want it to do? People either like or dislike Vista for many reasons.

Do you have a budget, & if yes how much?

You can get a basic readymade PC for £170-180 (or less in some places) - e.g. a Dell Vostro 200 click here. All you need is a monitor. May be a bit short on hard disk space, but these days you can pick up a 500Gb internal one for ~£40 & external for ~£50.

Just over £500 will get you something substantially better with a quality 22" monitor & 500Gb hard drive included click here. G

wjrt 18:58 18 Aug 2008
  russmini 19:09 18 Aug 2008

No Accesories need.

Monitor, Keyboarb, Mouse, Speakers etc all Good.

I would have thought 250Gb would be Ample... Would go More though if the deal etc was right.

No experiance of Vista.

XP... Yeh does what i want it to do...

PC Games, No. Thats what Consoles are for... But i don't use those either...

Budget... Not sure, Can't spend too much though...

Thanks again...

GaT7 19:28 18 Aug 2008

I'd suggest this Dell Vostro 200 click here for £322. It has WinXP installed with Vista media supplied should you want to make the upgrade at some point.

Changes to default spec are marked with a •

- Intel® Core™2 Duo E4600 Processor
• Vista® Business with XP Pro installed & Vista Media [only ~£10 more]
- 3072MB 667MHz (2x1024 + 2x512) Memory
- 128MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 Pro graphics card
• 500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive [only ~£5 more]
- 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
- Integrated 7.1 High Definition Audio
- Microsoft® Works 9.0
- Keyboard & mouse
- Standard Warranty - 1Yr Basic Warranty

Get 5% cashback if you go via click here.

If you can find the above spec/similar elsewhere for the same money, then go for that. G

russmini 19:42 18 Aug 2008

Mmm

That looks and Sounds good mate, thanks for that.

Anymore Offers ???

Oh and i Like Dell, after i Bought a X50V off them a couple of years ago, Upgraded it to X51V spec etc, was a Really Good bit of kit.

GaT7 19:58 18 Aug 2008

Another option, & the cheapest, is to repair the old PC. What's its spec like? Can you post a list? Probably just needs a fresh OS reinstall & some RAM to make it error-free & get it up to speed.

Also check out eBay, as they have plenty of secondhand/refurb PCs for a relative bargain - a related search for desktop PCs in the £50-200 range (sorted by Price: lowest first) click here (you can change parameters to suit your needs/budget). Be aware that some may not have an OS. G

russmini 20:02 18 Aug 2008

Crossbow7

Trust me, that is Not an Option...

It's about 5 Years Old and was 2nd hand then.

I've just tried to use it till it's Last Legs, and i think i'm basically there.

GaT7 20:15 18 Aug 2008

Just read your post again - you're broke! That's why I suggested the 'repair' & eBay.

Well, I'm using a 3-year old PC that was made with various secondhand/refurb components off eBay, most of which were bought separately. It runs like a dream (I do maintain it well though).

Come on, let's see what you have. You're going to kind of do it up before selling/giving it away, aren't you?

I spotted some really good ones on eBay for pick-up only. While logged-in to eBay, click on the search link I gave you, & choose 'Sort by: Distance: nearest first'. G

GaT7 20:34 18 Aug 2008

Realised you don't have to limit the search, so here's all the eBay desktops on offer click here - just sort it by 'distance nearest' - you may have to be logged-in or specify your post code in the pop-up. G

Joe R 20:48 18 Aug 2008

russmini,

maybe another option.!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?