New computer for father in-law??

[email protected] 13:29 14 May 2004

I have been tasked with choosing a PC for my father in law who does not currently have one (but uses one at work).

He wants it for banging out letters, e-mail, occasional web surfing and at the most the odd game of golf!

The current Dell offer for less than £350 has caught my eye, meets his needs and I'm not sure if it can be beaten for value for money! - click here

I know there are issues regarding Dell service ect
but for the price.........?

Thanks for any opinions on the deal and any others I may have overlooked.

961 13:40 14 May 2004

I think it will be fine for the needs you describe

The only thing I would suggest is that the £30 to upgrade the monitor to a 17" higher grade will be worthwhile and it just may be worth buying a floppy disc drive

No doubt many will suggest paying for a faster Intel P4 processor but this will do the job you want

[email protected] 13:47 14 May 2004

Cheers 961

I agree about the processor - even a celeron will handle his needs without thinking of it.

I was thinking about upgrading the monitor - he is actually keen on a TFT but I'm not so sure.

[email protected] 07:37 15 May 2004

Deal done

Upgraded the monitor but still the 17" CRT, and added a floppy.

Came to £400.17 delivered for:

Celeron 2.6GHz
80gb HD (7200rpm)
256MB RAM
17" CRT
CD RW/DVD Combo
Modem
Floppy
CD
XP Home
MS Works

I think thats pretty good value for money.......................when I think of what I paid for the antique I'm using at the moment :-)

Tim1964 20:41 15 May 2004

Agree, very good for the money, but £20 for a floppy ! Can see where they make the money on these systems.

spuds 21:16 15 May 2004

You cannot go far wrong with that deal. Before you decide,perhaps a visit to PC World for a comparison check would not go amiss.

[email protected] 07:29 17 May 2004

Cheers all

I agree Tim1964 & remember thats £20 + VAT........must be a gold plated floppy!!

Still Dad in law is happy (which means wife is happy), heres hoping we dont have to contact Dell support when it arrives :-)

[email protected] 07:30 17 May 2004

Cheers all

I agree Tim1964 & remember thats £20 + VAT........must be a gold plated floppy!!

Then again have you seen what they want for sticking in a stick of RAM :-o

Still Dad in law is happy (which means wife is happy), heres hoping we dont have to contact Dell support when it arrives :-)

[email protected] 07:30 17 May 2004

Sorry for the stutter!

[email protected] 16:17 20 May 2004

Just a quick update / note, father in law has had confirmation that delivery of his PC will be tomorrow (friday), order only made last saturday night - cant complain so far!!

[email protected] 20:10 21 May 2004

PC arrived today as promised & is now set up & running with no problems at all (except for e-buyer sending a printer with german instructions & a 2 pin plug, I cant blame Dell for that!!)

I have to say I am impressed with the system, it appears to be working well, looks smart & appears very good value for money.

Well done Dell -1 happy customer & a son in law who is owed a couple of beers :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)