New computer advice

JAK68 08:46 28 Jun 2006

I have been looking round for a computer For maximum £500 and found this one, it will be used for playing games, usual internet downloads and college work. What do people think ?

click here:

rmcqua 08:53 28 Jun 2006

OK, except that you will find it will struggle with modern games

JAK68 08:59 28 Jun 2006

Does anyone know of any computers around the same price that is better for gaming ?

Diodorus Siculus 09:00 28 Jun 2006

As rmcqua implies, it will depend on what games you plan on playing.

To its credit, it does have a PCI-E expansion slot so you can add a newer graphics card to it when the time comes that you can afford it.

JAK68 09:55 28 Jun 2006

what graphics card would you recommend?

Diodorus Siculus 10:20 28 Jun 2006

I'm sorry to say that I can't recommend any graphics card. I've a very basic one that does all that I want to do without any problems and I don't play games. When I built this machine I choose the cheapest PCI-E card that was on the market at the time.

JAK68 11:02 28 Jun 2006

anybody else got any recommendations ?

Chris-347369 11:55 28 Jun 2006

Just bought one of these. A great machine

JAK68 12:27 28 Jun 2006

Hi pyroxide, your link has not come up on this thread, could you do it again. thks

spuds 12:40 28 Jun 2006

I think this is the second time this particular computer as been mentioned as a possible buy, over the last week or so.

It would seem to have a very good review and price tag for an ideal beginner/intermediate computer. And it should be capable of most things, but when gaming is suggested then all sorts of questions need to be answered by a regular gamer.The price tag may at least double for a regular high end gaming machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts