New comp advice

Tolks 14:40 02 Feb 2007

I was looking to buy this setup from cyberpowersystem.co.uk for approx £2000, I'll need this comp for work using and gaming and admittedly know relatively little about computer hardware. I was wondering what changes people would make given the options available at cyberpowersystem, or if they know of a cheaper reliable vendor (uk):

Case: CoolerMaster Praetorian 732 RC-732 Aluminum Tower 420W Case (Silver Color)

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

Motherboard: Asus P5N-SLI nForce 570 SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394&7.1Audio

Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)

Video Card: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Monitor & LCD: ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1& quot; Wide Screen Color TFT Active Matrix LCD Display

Hard Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (400GB (200GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Optical Drive: SONY DUAL FORMAT 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (SILVER COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: SONY 16X DVD-ROM (SILVER COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Main areas i'm not sure about:
a) Motherboard, the area i know least about. Is my choice a good choice?
b) I understand the 8800 is one of two dx10 cards out now, is it a good card or would it be worth downgrading and then upgrading later when dx10 hardware is more developed?
c) The shelf life of the E6700, will this be ok for a few years or is it worth lowering some other specs and getting a new quadcore / the extreme version.
d) The difference between the E6700 and E6600, is it worth the extra £100?

Quite a read i know but thanks for the help.

Totally-braindead 16:07 02 Feb 2007

Never dealt with the company so can't help you there. Its a very powerful computer, pretty much top of the range. Whatever you buy now will be replaced with something faster in a few months so its up to you regading this.
All the parts I can see are good with one exception I don't like the power supply, I personally would prefer a bit more something like a 500 watt branded power supply for a high end system like this, especially as you might add more bits on later. Don't know about the motherboard but I have an ASUS AMD motherboard and ASUS boards are very good in general.
Can't help with the processor either as I know more about AMD ones but Dual Core Duo 2 seems to be highly regarded and extremely fast.
I would recommend getting a copy of Acronis for backup and a large external hard drive as well for backups.
In short the spec of that PC should do you for years to come.

Tolks 17:50 02 Feb 2007

Yea the power supply would be a 700-750 (i cant remember which) replacing the one that comes with the case, but it didnt show up on specs when i copied and pasted.
Thanks for the advice though!
Anyone else got opinions?

Pamy 18:45 02 Feb 2007

I would asume that it will come with one of the "Vista" operating systems installed, but I would check that the graphics card is able to run more than just the "Vista Basic"

Kate B 19:44 02 Feb 2007

Pamy, that graphics card will eat anything put in its path ;-)

I'm jealous, that looks like a smashing computer. I'd make one observation - if you want raw speed, is there an option to upgrade to faster hard drives, such as a couple of Raptors that spin at 10,000rpm?

Totally-braindead 20:02 02 Feb 2007

Kate B is right there its a £400 graphics card. Did think about Raptors myself but they are a bit too pricey and I was concerned about the noise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?