need advice on buying mic

canard 21:57 01 Mar 2004

Need advice please on what mic to buy for recording instrument to PC.

Wilham 21:31 02 Mar 2004

An impossible question to answer on the info given. I can offer some tips.
The cheap mic in front of me now, marked Creative, does its job well when I link the PC to my son in NY, but it needs help to produce better quality in recordings.
Capturing the musical instrument sound, the timbre, needs experience aplenty.
Every mic has a polar diagram, a chart showing its sensitivity to the direction sound come from.
Also the decibel fall-off as the sound recedes.
I reckon a skilled sound engineer could produce quite good recordings just using modern cheap mics, and using the electronic tricks available to him today.
Mics also have nonlinear freq. response. Lower notes need a boost, higher ones attenuation, even cutoff. A mixer indicates the amp.limits of these before overloading the recording media.
Condenser ribbon low impedance mics used to cost a bomb, and were used because of their low immunity to noise. Now I don't think they're used,- but I'm open to correction. Heard of Dolby?
My goodness, you can take a degree in sound recording.
The sensor in an eletret mic (or similar spelling) costs only pence, and increased to pounds by merchandising. Experiment.. stand mic on a jacketed hot water bottle (cold, of course). Hang blanket(s) to reduce echos. Keep mic cable length shortish.
You'll find all this in books, and more up to date than me.

Have fun!

Wilham 21:31 02 Mar 2004

An impossible question to answer on the info given. I can offer some tips.
The cheap mic in front of me now, marked Creative, does its job well when I link the PC to my son in NY, but it needs help to produce better quality in recordings.
Capturing the musical instrument sound, the timbre, needs experience aplenty.
Every mic has a polar diagram, a chart showing its sensitivity to the direction sound come from.
Also the decibel fall-off as the sound recedes.
I reckon a skilled sound engineer could produce quite good recordings just using modern cheap mics, and using the electronic tricks available to him today.
Mics also have nonlinear freq. response. Lower notes need a boost, higher ones attenuation, even cutoff. A mixer indicates the amp.limits of these before overloading the recording media.
Condenser ribbon low impedance mics used to cost a bomb, and were used because of their low immunity to noise. Now I don't think they're used,- but I'm open to correction. Heard of Dolby?
My goodness, you can take a degree in sound recording.
The sensor in an eletret mic (or similar spelling) costs only pence, and increased to pounds by merchandising. Experiment.. stand mic on a jacketed hot water bottle (cold, of course). Hang blanket(s) to reduce echos. Keep mic cable length shortish.
You'll find all this in books, and more up to date than me.

Have fun!

canard 23:59 04 Mar 2004

Oh dear!

canard 23:59 04 Mar 2004

Oh dear!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)