Natosoft Security Center 2014

rdave13 20:53 18 Jul 2014
Answered

This looks suspiciously like a break away team from Avast!. Unfortunately seems the only download possible is from C|Net and I'm not partial to download from that site. It also appears to be free so is a bit tempting.

This link shows the layout of the program. Familiar isn't it. DO NOT click on the download orangish coloured link. Not healthy.

There is a direct download link here, blue text but be warned that the installer might still need careful scrutiny.

I'm tempted to remove Avast! on my old laptop and try this out sometime.

Not sure though. Worth while ifo though.

rdave13 13:17 19 Jul 2014

Woolwell that's why I might play around with it on an old laptop, not my main PC. It certainly looks like a one man band product.

Jock1e that's what I usually do with the OS, play around with it, and sometimes break it lol.

Thanks for all replies.

rdave13 18:31 20 Jul 2014

ThomasBehan thanks for replying to the thread. Ok, used the link in ZDNet, which went to C|Net for downloading the installer. No PUPs with it which was good.

My specs on the old laptop are pretty dire, 1.7 GHz single core CPU, two gig ram (don't laugh please). Two complaints so far, Windows security centre doesn't recognize it even after a reboot. As my PC is on the weak side it takes forever to do a full scan so decided to stop the scan for now. Couldn't do it as there seem to be no way of cancelling or stopping a scan. Had to reboot to do it.

Now here's a strange one. Running a scan on the scan page, CPU usage is around 100%, if I click on the Status icon and go to the Status page the CPU usage drops to between 20 and 40%? I can still see it scanning on the bottom bar. Could be the graphics and the list of scanned files showing that my CPU isn't coping very well lol.

Sometimes get a (not responding) for a few seconds while scanning.

One other thing I might mention is blue text on black background works great for me, the red digits on black background doesn't but that could be my eyesight.

Will be off-line for four days as on 12hr shifts so won't be able to check out the program more until after. Hope you don't mind my criticisms.

rdave13 18:33 20 Jul 2014

P.S. OS is Win 8.1 32-bit.

rdave13 23:05 24 Jul 2014

" even bad systems like yours " , Hmm, low in specs maybe, old maybe, but not bad. It's the grandfather of lappies and I'm nurturing it to the very end. Hopefully your software won't hasten its retirement.

rdave13 19:17 25 Jul 2014
Answer

Had an update today changing the interface. Liked it but on booting it would revert to the old one. Had to click on desktop icon to get the new one back. Found I couldn't download some files or programs either. Decided to remove it and used it's uninstaller, kicks in after using programs and features, selecting uninstall. Worked smoothly. Reverted to original AV.

Might have another go at a future date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9