Mini notebook for £169

dms05 08:21 10 Oct 2007

I've just read about the RM Asus tiny Eee PC click here

It costs £169 for 256Mb RAM with solid state 2Gb HDD, webcam, wifi, usb2, lan, modem, 7" colour screen. £199 gets you the 512Mb/4Gb. Runs Linux.

Do we see a market for a sub notebook that's cheaper than an iPod?

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:33 10 Oct 2007

'Runs Linux'..and there is the fatal flaw in the marketing strategy. 'Uses a 7" screen'...and there is the other flaw.

G

dms05 08:41 10 Oct 2007

I suppose the problem is including any paid for OS (ie XP or even OSX) would add £100 to the selling price.

However I don't see why you shouldn't install Windows or any version of Linux that suits you.

One flaw is that VAT and delivery aren't included so it's likely to be £235 delivered for you and me, for the 512/4Gb version, but I assume VAT free for a school.

Also you can buy a £299 full laptop with 14" screen from ebuyer.

However the portabilty and spec may help find a market.

Belatucadrus 11:41 10 Oct 2007

"cheap enough for the kids to break with impunity"

What planet do these people come from, that said I think it looks interesting and will be checking one out when they surface.

I am Spartacus 12:02 10 Oct 2007

"cheap enough for the kids to break with impunity"

I picked up on that too.

I'm planning to get one when it's released.

I used a Psion 5 for years and don't have a problem with the screen size and Linux doesn't put me off either.

wjrt 18:58 11 Oct 2007

on sale usa for $199 do as gamers did for sony ps3 dont buy and see if the price drops

I am Spartacus 19:25 11 Oct 2007

Any links to the US sites selling it please?

interzone55 20:50 11 Oct 2007

Adding Windows would add £45 to the price, that's all RM pay for XP Home, but you'd need more memory, and a load more disc space as XP needs at least a Gig of disc space for all the bloat it installs.

I think this is a good idea, with WiFi & 3G it will have net access pretty much anywhere, and a 7" screen is enough for basic surfing, emails & school projects.

I'll definately give it a good looking over.

DieSse 01:11 12 Oct 2007

'Runs Linux'..and there is the fatal flaw in the marketing strategy.

All low cost low hardware spec systems will run Linux - get over it.

Surfing the web, emailing, IMing, writng correspondence etc etc - you couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Except for the cost of software of course!

DieSse 01:20 12 Oct 2007

Good review with lots of pics click here

Shipping estimated around mid-November on US sites.

dms05 16:07 12 Oct 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)