The migration begins to O2

Dragon_Heart 20:37 19 Aug 2008

Been with Tesco ISP for about 2 years but paying £18 / month for unlimited half meg broadband.

Asked them if in light of their competitors prices they would reduced their rate NO !

So rang O2 on Monday morning to sign up after getting my MAC code of Tesco ( Virgin )

Today (Tuesday ) got by CD and wireless box from O2 and a text to confirm I should be on line with them by the 26th.

They are keeping me informed of developments every step of the way via text

Will update as things progress ......

tullie 15:26 20 Aug 2008

No need to keep us informed,migration is an everyday occurence.

[DELETED] 17:45 20 Aug 2008

What does pffph stand for? Been trying to work it out, and honest guv I do generally get about 6.5mb

GaT7 17:53 20 Aug 2008

"No need to keep us informed,migration is an everyday occurence." - that's rude & unnecessary tullie. If you don't want to know just stay away.

Some people like to share their experiences, while others (who're thinking of changing ISPs/joining O2 in this case) are interested in the former's experiences - see Green 1's post above. If nothing else, at least read the other posts before making a rude comment like that. jimmybond's post was obviously meant in a different way altogether & caused no offence. G

[DELETED] 18:05 20 Aug 2008

"What does pffph stand for?"
....wasn't meant to stand for anything really ;-)
Am not doubting the 6.5Mb if that's what you thought though!

[DELETED] 18:56 20 Aug 2008

Just done a speed test, currently getting 7.2mb. O2 is the bees knees

Dragon_Heart 21:40 20 Aug 2008

Yes 'tullie' migration IS an everyday occurrence but not everyone has a good experience.

As I said consumerwatch is full of complaints about poor service and / or goods so when I find something that's good ( so far )I let others know.

Not wishing to sound rude but if you not interested don't read the posts !

I have been very grateful on many occasions for this forum and others when I was about to purchase a service or product. First hand experience, good or bad, can be invaluable.

[DELETED] 21:52 20 Aug 2008

jimmybond,

I am a well pleased " Scottish person " who has rarely had a problem with his 20Mb broadband connection with Virgin Media.

I know this is no consolation for those who cannot get a cable service, but in my opinion Virgin Media and formerly Telewest, have been the most reliable company I have dealt with in over thirty years.

Dragon_Heart 21:54 20 Aug 2008

jimmybond
So Eigg now has a reliable electricity supply at a cost of over £18,000 per resident So that's only about £92,000,000,000 to get it to the rest of you ?

Isn't 'pffph' a 'word' to describe an exclamation with disgust ?

You should worry ... people in the north of England have been advised to move south for better jobs & pay, in fact ANY job.

UPDATE

Got my O2 confirmation letter and 'on line' date today

Dragon_Heart 00:31 09 Sep 2008

Everything went very well.

Got my confirmation text the day of connection and was connected, up and running within a few minutes.

The CD packaging says it's so easy the CD will do almost all of it for you .... not quite but for me it was easy to set up ..... not so easy for a 1st timer but the O2 help files were easy to follow.

The McAfee Security Centre was also soon set up and the 'small' problem I did have, with the help of their online "Virtual Technician" soon sorted it.

The only problem left is my son's laptop will not connect via wireless, but that's a PC problem not O2.

If you are going to change ISP then I can personally recommend O2 :-)

CurlyWhirly 07:20 10 Sep 2008

I've recently migrated to O2 myself and am getting faster speeds (on ADSL2+) and have a lower ping so it's handy for online gaming and I'm only paying £12.50 a month compared to £24.99 before!

I'm glad I made the switch ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?