Microsoft Embrace Peer 2 Peer

special sophie 20:22 06 Mar 2003

The future of file sharing
The recording industry spends a lot of time and money trying to shut down peer-to-peer networks. It has succeeded in a few cases, only to have more pop up in their places.

I see peer-to-peer networks as a growth industry, but not in the way you might think. While interested parties look for ways to shut down these networks, Microsoft has released the beta of a peer-to-peer development kit for Windows XP. No, Microsoft isn't attempting to grab market share from Kazaa. Built-in file sharing has the potential to revolutionize corporate networks and make an impact on personal computing as well.

Of course, Windows already features built-in networking and the ability to share folders, but you generally need a network administrator to set it up. With a corporate file-sharing network, you could point to someone on your corporate buddy list and see what files they have for you. Or instead of e-mailing documents to co-workers, you could just grab them from a file-sharing window. The only thing lacking from current technology is security.

Do you think peer-to-peer file sharing has a future? Let me know at [email protected].

Wayne Cunningham
Senior Editor, CNET Download.com

This is an email I recieved today I'm not actually wayne Cunningham.

powerless 20:25 06 Mar 2003

I recieved that the other day ;-)

P2P has a future...In my opinion.

special sophie 20:28 06 Mar 2003

Looks that way Powerless

graham 20:36 06 Mar 2003

Say after me 'i before e except after c'. Ready? 'i before e except after c'. Again 'i after c...

powerless 20:39 06 Mar 2003

i before e except after c

Cordy13 20:41 06 Mar 2003

Weird !!!

special sophie 20:45 06 Mar 2003

thank you grammar man

ahales42 21:08 06 Mar 2003

leith,dalkeith,etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?