Mesh & pc mags!

[DELETED] 13:09 26 Mar 2006

I'm finding it hard to understand the relationship between mesh computers & pc mags? A lot is said about mesh and how people get bad service & build from them, but no pc mag seems to want to publish these letters and views in their mags? Why?? Is advertising revenue more important than the views & concerns of the consumer.

Also when reading one of these threads about mesh it's very strange that a forum editor is having a look round mesh, surely that does not make you a neutral person on this subject?

Oh and if you decide to ban this i will require inder the freedom of information act all mesh & your own postings.

Forum Editor 18:37 26 Mar 2006

You're talking absolute rubbish, and making it worse by repeating it. I'm delighted to "talk legal" as you put it, but only if you promise to check your facts before making any more silly statements. Once and for all, the Freedom of information act 2000 provides a right of access to recorded information held by public authorities, and no matter how hard you search the 'small print' you won't turn PCAdvisor into a public authority.

As for that impressive list of qualifications, someone with that depth of knowledge should know better than to make sweeping and wildly inaccurate statements in a public web forum.

You obviously have a grudge to bear, it sticks out a mile, but you're not going to get away with it here. If you have a valid and specific complaint against a supplier feel free to voice it - that's what we're here for - but if all you want to do is find a public platform for an ill-informed rant I suggest you take yourself off somewhere else.

[DELETED] 19:31 26 Mar 2006

tommagumpi I would not be too concerned about buying or not buying from Mesh on the basis of this persons ravings alone. As Stuartli said earlier in this thread they do make thousands of computers and few cause problems. The same can be said of any PC manufacturer, there is no company that makes PCs that can claim 100% reliablity, its an impossability. Please bear in mind that this Forum is made up of people who have different backgrounds and a wide area of knowledge but we are all human (well I am anyway) and sometimes the advice given can be poor especially if you base it on what one person alone says. So this is why you are better getting a few postings from different people so you can make up your own mind. If 20 people say they are good and 1 says they are rubbish.... You can see what I mean.

To put it plainly, if I had bought a PC made by Mesh, just as an example, and had a lot of bother with it I would be one of the ones saying don't buy their PCs, they are terrible. If on the other hand I'd had it for years and it had given no bother then I would be saying they were great. Also you have to bear in mind that the postings in Consumerwatch for example are mainly consisting of people who have problems with their PCs not people who just want to say "My computers great". And one final thing. If a company sells more PCs than any other then there will be more problems. Its not that a higher percentage of the PCs have failed its just that it looks worse because they have sold more. I hope you see what I mean.

If you are looking for a PC then you can't go far wrong having a look at the PC Advisor recommedations in the magazine or even another magazine.

[DELETED] 22:20 26 Mar 2006

I am aghast that someone with *ahem* sooooo many qualifications makes such unlearned and obviously wrong statements, starting with his/her startling and singular ability to completly miss the direction of the FoIA and ending with build quality. I am also that as ccct is so legally educated that he/her will be able to see that they are on very dodgy ground.

No doubt some sensitive souls will start complaining that there is no 'civility' on this thread but I'm sure that they would like the erudite ccct to haunt their own forum.

G

[DELETED] 22:36 26 Mar 2006

I can't speak for anyone else of course, but I for one am perfectly willing and able to agree with you if you are actually 1) correct and 2) fair.

In this case, you are certainly right and quite fair, frankly.

So you won't get any dissent from me about this one.

[DELETED] 22:42 26 Mar 2006

I don't own a MESH system but the fact they are in business & selling PC's shows they are certainly doing something right. ccct it seems you have written to mags & they haven't published your bleatings.

[DELETED] 22:51 26 Mar 2006

A company must be judged - more than anything - by how it deals with problems when they arise. And arise they will, inevitably.

It would seem from the anecdotal evidence found in this forum that Mesh may be one of those companies that can sometimes come up short of reasonable standards when it has to sort out a problem and mop up the mess as quickly and as efficiently as it can. It doesn't mean that it will always fail though.

It's not the only one that can suffer from this, by any stretch of the imagination. A case of left-hand/right-hand syndrome perhaps, I don't know. I certainly don't have any miracle cures up my sleeve (I'de be somewhat wealthier if I did).

Stuartli 23:10 26 Mar 2006

Just to emphasise the point slightly, if new car buyers took the advice of those who complain about the cars they own, no one would ever buy a Ford, VW, BMW, Hyundai, Vauxhall, Kia, Fiat, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Mercedes-Benz etc etc.

You get the drift?

[DELETED] 23:18 26 Mar 2006

Problems with Mesh in the (now fairly distant past) and would be, as a result, unlikely to personally use them again.

However, I also know people who have nothing but praise for Mesh and, given the sales Mesh have, know I have probably been unlucky.

What I find absolutely unbelievable is the downright stupidity of accusing a FE with a well known and proud history of raising forum members issues with companies, including Mesh, of being worried by advertising revenue.

I have worked as a freelance journalist, with another magazine group, and can assure you there is never any pressure put on the writers to 'temper' their comments.

I can understand people being annoyed if things have gone badly, but truly your cause is not helped by making yourself look foolish as well as angry.

Forum Editor 00:09 27 Mar 2006

with threads like this there's a tendency for some people to post foolish comments designed to be provocative.

I've just deleted one such, and I have better things to do at midnight on a Sunday than watch for more, so regrettably I'm closing the proceedings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?