Looking for a new laptop - advice please

jarani 12:26 04 Jun 2007

I am looking for a new laptop for my 13 year old granddaughter going to a boarding school this autumn - what do the kids need ? she is not into games in any big way - more msn and such - i will check with the school on their policy vsv computers use - what makes are robust and reliable and which suppliers ? - any advice would be appreciated - jarani

wee eddie 13:51 04 Jun 2007

It was a while ago now but I seem to remember that my daughter's school specified a particular model to reduce peer group pressure.

Mark_CCS 14:19 04 Jun 2007

A basic laptop will suffice if she's only 13. No point in getting her a business one as it will be outdated by the time she is actually using it fully.

Have a look at laptopsdirect and suchlike. Also Novatech who will give you a good service.

wee eddie 14:38 04 Jun 2007

Floppy, CD, USB Pen Drive.

That could be a useful question to ask

wjrt 16:35 04 Jun 2007

click here

toshiba are a reputable make and some models like this one might be good for this situation as they have a strengthened casing and shockproofing for the hard drive and a spillproof keyboard. this is only an examp[le and a search might find better supplier or model

jarani 23:05 04 Jun 2007

Thank you all for the comments - I will keep reviewing - any more suggestions ? - I am lost on this one - jarani

Totally-braindead 00:58 05 Jun 2007

I would initially go with wee eddies suggestion and contact the school, theres no point spending too much on one and there might be a problem with spending too little if you see what I mean.

Ask the school what they recommend or what the typical student uses and start there.

jarani 14:55 14 Jun 2007

Mark_CCS - 13 year olds must not be underestimated - they are sharp and knowledgeable in this field - it is hard to keep up with them - jarbie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?