Lite On Isn't On

sean-278262 20:53 28 Oct 2004

I have had a Lite on 19" monitor and since I got it it would always go fuzzy after a time of usage it would come and go and never give me enough time to take a picture for evidence.
Now literally minutes ago it terrified me by going bang and warping the image beyond recognition, and at this point I have had enought of it. I bought it a in september 2003 so its just a year and 2 months old now. But I fear that its just going to give me even more trouble.

I accepted the fuzzyness, as with a reboot it would go away, and wasnt prepared to be without a screen while it was sorted out.

I live in the republic of ireland and bought it from northern ireland, so im not alltogether sure of my rights in this matter and should I take it up with the seller, or manufacturer of the monitor, as i thought that a monitor should be free of defects for at least 3 years, it's not like it is something like a broken led on its front panel but its a definate fault.

What should I do. Now I just dont feel safe using it!

according to Belarc advisor this is the monitor details.
Liteon e1996PNST/NSL [Monitor] (17.7"vis, June 2003)

its put through a geforce fx5200 128mb card

spuds 10:50 29 Oct 2004

You purchased the monitor from Northern Ireland, so it would come under the UK consumer laws.Unless you purchased for business use under a special terms and conditions contract, but this is usually not the case in 99.75% of purchases. Your claim for a replacement or repair will be the original suppliers responsibility, so contact them. Most monitor manufacturers will deal direct, and usually this is the better way to go for quickness on monitor problems, so I would also contact them and see what they suggest.The details of the manufacturers service and support, should be on the warranty details that you should have received at time of purchase.The supplier should also have these details.

Most monitors come with a three year manufacturers warranty, and most will do a swap-out service.This usually means that they will exchange your monitor for another unit 'equivalent too,or better than' the monitor unit that you already have.The warranty will continue,as it left off,upto the original full warranty period. I would also mention that your location in the Republic would also have EU consumer law advantages, like the rest of the EU governing states.

g0nvs 14:12 30 Oct 2004

Now literally minutes ago it terrified me by going bang and warping the image beyond recognition.

Sounds like "Degausse"

Stuartli 17:41 01 Nov 2004

>>as i thought that a monitor should be free of defects for at least 3 years>>

An impossible dream for every single monitor to be so reliable...:-))

You are confusing the warranty/guarantee time period with your expectations.

Stuartli 17:44 01 Nov 2004

You're probably on the mark there - my iiyama goes into degauss mode every time I switch it on.

g0nvs 18:49 01 Nov 2004

Stuartli
Yes, my Philips monitor did that also.

sean-278262 18:56 01 Nov 2004

still doesnt explain the fuzzyness I experience. and the bang wasnt the same sound as degauss (degauss on my monitor sounds more of a poping bang) and doesnt explain also the resizing of the screen and its placement that cannot be achieved using the settings of the monitor (which I tried to mimic)

SGT [email protected] 19:57 01 Nov 2004

">>as i thought that a monitor should be free of defects for at least 3 years>>
An impossible dream for every single monitor to be so reliable...:-))"

i've had my 17" proview tft for 4 years and not had a problem with it , maybe they were built to last back then

.......i shouldnt have said that should i lol

sean-278262 22:58 01 Nov 2004

I have to agree my first computer went without a single fault (other than through my own mistakes)this one however was riddled with them. The monitor for one.

They dont make em like they used. As they say

spuds 00:18 02 Nov 2004

The solution could be> click here

Stuartli 14:15 02 Nov 2004

Both the iiyama 17in S702GT monitors I bought in mid-1999 have proved faultless so far (my son has one); mine hasn't even had to have either the brightness or contrast changed since the initial setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?