Make sure the laptop is properly insured, both against damage and theft.
One of those laptop cable locks may be a good buy as well, to secure the Lt to a desk (or better, a fixed structure) whilst her room is unattended. I'm assuming here that she will be living away from home.
Yes, go to the university's website and see if they have a link to a toshiba laptop provider. If not, we have one, its click here then look for the uni where she is going to, select that, then see what deals are available. Hope thats helpfull.
(1) all lappys around £700 will do fine job for her requirement
(2) wait a few months to buy as the price is coming down all the time and the dollar is not going to get stronger soon (the main reason for cheap IT stuff is because weak dollar).
(3) lappy can be treated as a fashion accessory, so ask your daughter what she wants
(4) it may be a good idea to get a Intel Mobile Pentium (P-M) (or Centrnio) based ones becuase it generates less heat, require less cooling and hence light and battery run longer, those are important if she is going to carry around campus
(5) Toshiba has "Notebook for students" scheme as pointed out by "whizman", it will make a small saving, but not much. you can get similar price from technoword click here
(6) take your daughter to PCWorld to see which one she fancy, PC World has some great offers now.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.