Keep on paying and paying

gaslamp 18:30 30 Dec 2008

Have just read this with amazement. Get out the Mac

click here

canarieslover 18:48 30 Dec 2008

Linux will see a large surge in users as will Open Office.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:53 30 Dec 2008

It is a 2 year old story /yawn

G

tullie 20:27 30 Dec 2008

Only one year isent it G?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:54 30 Dec 2008

2.5 years old to be exact.....click here /triple yawn.

G

wee eddie 22:04 30 Dec 2008

Especially if it is just the Creator side of things and by the hour.

As GANDALF <|:-)> says, it's been doing the round for years

tullie 22:10 30 Dec 2008

Well ill be blowed,so it is

€dstowe 09:27 31 Dec 2008

Don't forget that most patents are withdrawn before grant and, of those that are pursued, only a VERY small number ever come into commercial use. Very often patents and patent applications are developed purely to block others using a certain aspect of a novel technology or invention without there ever being any marketing intention on the part of the inventor.

Even if a patent is not granted or the application is withdrawn, just the fact that the technology is in the public domain prevents further intellectual property rights being obtained.

The Brigadier 11:08 31 Dec 2008

This is only going to be MS shooting it's self in the foot as users will migrate to Linux & Open Source Software!

DrATty 12:35 01 Jan 2009

Most 'home' Office users will already have disks for whatever version they have. They're unlikely to take out a mortgage on a new version. I can't see MS abandoning this revenue stream any time soon.
If they bundled the latest OS, Office etc. for a sensible price it might be different. The cost of renting Office has been quoted as £60 a year. I still don't use all the features in my copy of Office 2000; at £480 over 8 years I wouldn't even have considered it. SmartSuite was still available then, and there's Open Office now.
I don't think home users are ready for rented software and MS must be wary of the free alternatives. Linux netbooks anyone?

gaslamp 15:00 02 Jan 2009

Even if it is 2 years old it's still worth a punt just to give Gandalf his kicks ha ha.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?