1) Microsoft Pocket Word - I told him I thought this was pretty much ubiquitous, am I correct?
-I have never seen one without it or some compatable equivalent.
2) Ubiquitous internet - I really could do with assistance on this point. First of all, is roaming internet possible? How does it work? How does one pay for it? What about email? And so on, and so on. I've got little idea of what is currently available in this field presently.
- For email you are talking smart phones, these are expensive. (Tmobile do a fair few of them on contract) as for how it works I really dont know about other PDAs but the smart phones use GPRS or other GSM protocols to do it.
3) Facilities for programming - I am on slightly firmer ground here; I believe I'd need an iPAQ capable of running a database utility and/or one which will run the .NET Compact Framework 2.0. I'm guessing that'll be usual, though.
- What programming?
4) Something that costs about £250 - £300.
- Really depends what they use the thing for and how often, as on that budget it may not be possible to get a smart phone. However do look over ebay.