I'll give the Talk-Talk BB offer a go

dagbladet 12:16 23 Apr 2006

I'm giving it a go. I already have Talk Talk 2meg (unl) BB and Talk Talk landline for £20. I pay my line rental (£11) to BT. So for the sake of a couple of mouseclicks it seems I should gain unlimited landline calls to 28 countries and my BB speed could potentially increase by up to 8meg, although I am 700 metres from the exchange. My line rental now goes via CPW. I should be paying £10 less a month. 2 days in and I have recieved my first disappointment, on 'tracking my order' I see that my line speed is not estimated to increase until Dec 2006. Funny how when I checked my number prior to signing up, I simply recieved a catagoric 'YES', and no mention of any delay, certainly not 8 months!. Anyway I will keep you all informed.

Stuartli 09:42 07 May 2006

TalkTalk also told me by e-mail that I could still have 2MB in the meantime, but there's one small but important snag.

I haven't received a modem yet...:-)

In any case Tiscali is still delivering my BB so it would appear that I will have to wait until June 5th - it would have ceased sometime on Thursday or Friday if TalkTalk was to have taken over my BB service.

I'm still awaiting a response as to how I'm supposed to switch the BB to TT if I haven't got a modem or configuration details?

Neither have I received an information pack although it was supposed to have been sent out last month (29th); I've requested another one be sent out.

To be fair TalkTalk did telephone unexpectedly to say that the phone service would be changed over from One.Tel (also a TT company) to Talk3 International from last Friday.

This was less than 24 hours after an e-mail about the BB service but, as my wife took the call as I was out, she wasn't aware of the overall situation.

Stuartli 10:14 07 May 2006

..above, I've just done some checking with both TT and Tiscali.

Turns out that TalkTalk requires a BBIPxxx MAC rather than the BBDSxxx one Tiscali issued...

Tried to get an IP rather than DataStream MAC from Tiscali but the cancellation section is closed all weekend and only from 9am to 6pm Mondays to Fridays...:-(

TalkTalk say I should be able to have a 2MB service in about a fortnight (now that the Talk3 International service is up and running) and go onto the "up to 8MB ADSLMax" from June 5th.

Stuartli 10:17 07 May 2006

I also understand that my Tiscali service may have to be disconnected manually.

spuds 16:04 07 May 2006

This is getting more complicated by the hour/day. Doesn't appear to be a simple changeover, as people may have expected!.

Stuartli 18:32 07 May 2006

Other ISPs have the same problems with IP and DS migration - for instance, PlusNet's customer services staff have been outlining the problems of such MAC transfers on its website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

B2B design is softening up

New Apple products predictions 2020

Les meilleurs cadeaux pour fans de Star Wars