I want English PCA

powerless 19:33 16 Oct 2003

"Expert Advice in Plain English"

Does it still exist at PCA HQ?

All magazines are experts in one way or another but PCA you tell me in English do I have to consult my glossary from now on?

"Expert advice you can trust" - Why chnage?

(p.s if this has been explained in the mag then have not got it yet)

TOPCAT® 20:09 16 Oct 2003

... that in this politically correct world we live in the old slogan might have ruffled a few feathers. We have to remember that English is not the only spoken language in the United Kingdom.

I fervently hope this was not the case. TC.

bremner 20:12 16 Oct 2003

The latest magazine has also changed to "Expert advice you can trust" on the front cover.

Forum Editor 20:48 16 Oct 2003

things change, sometimes for the better.

I'm sure you'll soon get used to Expert advice you can trust - and take the plain English bit as read.

rickf 14:26 17 Oct 2003

To save cost on printing?

Belatucadrus ? 13:25 18 Oct 2003

Fortunately in the UK we have a range of PC magazines covering a range of users of various levels of PC literacy. If you feel that you have progressed beyond the PCA Plain English / Language approach then you can of course change to one of the more in depth publications. But to suggest that a magazine should raise it's level of complexity because you have moved on is simplistic. PC Advisor has a target demographic that covers a good range of users, we know this because it's still being published, while others have fallen by the wayside.
I'm not suggesting that they should avoid technical terms, indeed dumbing down is one of my pet hates, but how can you expect people to improve their computer literacy if somebody doesn't explain the meaning of such terms to them clearly ? In short plain English doesn't have to be dumb and I think PCA have hit a pretty good balance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

This new tool dramatically improves workflow between designers and developers

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2018)