HP Jack Black notebook 14-Ac100na

il padrino 17:19 01 Dec 2015

Hi I am new on the Forums. I purchased a HP Jack Black Notebook 14-AC100na. it ga Intel Celeron, 2GB RAM and 32GB memory. I got it from Sainsbury for £150 down from £280 (Black Friday offer). Is this any good? I bought on inpulse to replace my 7 years old Medion desktop PC. It was very good but runs on Vista and has become too slow. I use the PC for emails, browsing, keeping photos and documents (Word, Excell and Powerpoint). Thanks for your help

alanrwood 11:28 02 Dec 2015

Firstly it has 32GB of hard drive storage not memory. To be honest that is not very much as Windows will use quite a bit of that for itself. To be honest it is a very low end device but if it serves your needs then that is fine.

Secret-Squirrel 12:21 02 Dec 2015

il padrino, I hope I'm not too late, but if you haven't opened the box and used the laptop then take it back immediately and get a refund.

The system specs for that laptop are appalling - a very slow CPU, 2GB of RAM (that can't be upgraded), and just 32GB of storage that'll be used up in no time at all.

MattN777 20:27 02 Dec 2015

Have you tried this Laptop yet ? I have just purchased one,again from sainsburys for £150. Its for my wife, only to use for internet browsing, saving photos and updates to phone etc ? Is it going to be ok ?

wee eddie 20:56 02 Dec 2015

Matt: It'll do that, and more. It'll also show movies that you have downloaded. Write letters and display photos and surf the net.

However it does not have much Storage Space, so you may need external storage space.

For £150, it's a cracker, but it's not a £500 Lappy.

MattN777 22:47 02 Dec 2015

Nice one thanks, yes its only needed for the basics, ill give it ago and as before it was only £150 so not expecting anything amazing, thanks for the reply

Govan1x 23:23 02 Dec 2015

HP were selling it for £199 including vat so not sure where Sainsbury got their prices from.

I would have taken it back.

Click here

MattN777 08:23 03 Dec 2015

Govan1x, why would you have taken it back ?

i havnt opened it yet, so still an option ...

Secret-Squirrel 08:56 03 Dec 2015

Matt, for general Internet browsing that laptop may be OK. However, as I said yesterday, its hardware specifications are very poor for a device running Windows 10. Also, because of the tiny (non upgradeable) storage, your wife will find that it's full in no time at all. I've just checked my new Windows 10 PC that has a couple of extra programs loaded and just a handful of personal files and it's used 40GB already.

Like Govan1x has already said, it was never worth £280 so it wasn't such a bargain after all.

Bazzaman 12:38 11 Jan 2016

If anybody is interested, saw an ad today (11-Jan-16) for this in Sainsburys now down to £100.

Have to say, given the spec. I would not be interested at any price (unless it was so cheap that it might be worth cannibalising for parts, and even then I would be very dubious).

Bazzaman 13:47 11 Jan 2016

Thinking about it, this "laptop" is not much more than a tablet masquerading as a laptop. It has a bigger screen and a keyboard, but in terms of usability, it's a tablet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)