HP C5280 All in one

gazzaho 00:51 31 Jul 2008

I own a HP C5280 All in one printer which is driving me crazy as it refuses to print to the main tray by default, it insists on using the small photo tray instead, it also refuses to retain any settings in preferences other than the ones set by default, plus it seems to use a lot of colour ink even though I mostly use black for printing. I'm wondering if anyone here owns one and is having the same problems, or fix? I've googled the problems with this device and some other people appear to be in the same boat with no clear remedy from HP on how to solve it. Can anyone recommend a good all in one printer that also prints CD/DVD disks and if possible, also wireless network ability.

I don't want to trash talk HP but it seems that every piece of equipment I buy with that brand name gives me nothing but heart ache with the exception of my trusty little iPaq PDA.

jack 08:34 31 Jul 2008

click here
type the printer make model in the field and also join the forum.

Black only printing
In many cases to get a 'Full black' the printer actually prints all colours over each other the black being merely a shadow enhanser.
Other makes/ models do indeed give a black only option- it varies between makers/ and level of sophistication of individual models.
Take a look at also this
click here

gazzaho 02:10 01 Aug 2008

Hi jack,

Thanks for the links but they aren't much help I'm afraid, I didn't get any hits on doing a search on the forum and although the ink saver would be of benefit I feel I will be using it on another machine as this one is about to go out the window LOL.

spuds 09:53 01 Aug 2008

Have you relied on views on other reports, or contacted HP direct for advice. The reason that I mention this is due to the fact that I own HP printers, and I find their advice and customer service fairly good.

If you haven't had the printer long, then you might be able to get some form of recompense under consumer law 'Not fit for purpose' perhaps.

gazzaho 16:38 01 Aug 2008

Hi spuds,

I did contact HP and they seem to have resolved both the issue of the photo tray and preferences, and apparently the high colour ink usage is down to a technology called K-Fortification which prints an invisible yellow layer before printing text to enhance it, but they gave me advice on how to reduce ink usage. If it continues to work as it is doing now I'll be well satisfied.

gazzaho 16:44 01 Aug 2008

I thought I'd post the solution for anyone who may be having the same problem and stumble upon this thread:

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
This is Nathan from All-in-One, E-mail Tech Support Team and it's a pleasure assisting you.

From your email, I understand that you are unable to print using the main tray on your HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One and also, the unit only retain the default setting and uses a lot of color ink eventhough you print mostly black color. I gather that you have searched on the google about this issue.

However, let us try the following steps so that the problem might get fixed.

Solution Summary
=============
1. Make the main tray as default paper source.
2.Decrease the ink volume
3.Print in Normal mode
4.Power Cycle the unit

Solution
=======

Step 1: ==== Make the main tray as default paper source=====

Follow the steps to set the main tray as the default input tray.
1. Open Hp Solution Center.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Click on Printer Settings.
4. Click on Printing Shortcuts tab.
5. Under Paper source option, select Main tray.
6. Press Ok button to save this setting.

Try printing from the main tray and check the result.

Moreover, I would like to inform you that HP Photosmart C5200 All-in-One series is a very good model which uses the latest ink technology called K-Fortification.

What is K-Fortification?

To get the best quality printing, the All-in-One prints a yellow coloured layer before printing any text. So every line of the text printed form this printer has a yellow color layer printed in the background which is not visibe to our naked eye. This enhances the quality of the printed text.

This technicque is called K-Fortification. This is the reason why the color/yellow ink is used more than the black cartridges, eventhough you are printing mostly in black.

Moreover, when you are printing in Best mode, more ink will be used.

However, as a workaround, let us try the following steps to reduce the ink consumption.

Step 2: ====Decrease the ink volume ====

Follow the steps below to reduce the ink volume while printing.

2. Click on Settings.
4. Click on Advanced tab.
5. Minimize the Ink Volume and Overspray options.

Step 3: ====Print in Normal mode====

Perform the follwing steps to print in Normal mode.

2. Click on Settings.
4. Click on Features tab.
5. Under Print quality option, select Normal mode.

Step 4: =====Power Cycle the unit====

Follow the steps below to power cycle your all-in-one:

1. Verify that the unit is switched on. Unplug the all-in-one from power and disconnect the connection port.
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Plug in the power only.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times.
5. On the fourth time after plugging the unit into power, reconnect the connection port from the all-in-one to your computer.

Gary, I believe this information helps you to troubleshoot the issue.
However, please reply to this email with the result. We are available 24/7 and will be looking forward to assist you further in the best possible way.

Have a nice time !!
Thank you

Sincerely,

Nathan,
HP Total Care.

lucyrssll 09:53 07 Aug 2008

Stinkyink now offer ink cartridges for the [url=click here]HP Photosmart C5280 ink[/url]. Oh and it's free delivery too!

jack 10:09 07 Aug 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?