help with what laptop to get

tidyrob69 20:16 16 Oct 2008

Hi. I'm looking to buy a new lap top but as I don't know much about them i get lost with what all the different specifications are.

I would like one with about a 18" screen and i want to run autocad and a simulator on it, the requirements for these are..

sim- dualcore 2.4GHZ cpu, 2GB ram, 3D accelerated video with 512mb dedicated memory(pixel shader 3.0 support)

CAD- 3GB ram, pemtium 4- 3GHZ, 1280 x 1024 display.

I hope that makes more sense to other people than it does to me and if anyone could recomend any good value laptops with the above features i would more than grateful.

cheers, Rob

GaT7 22:42 16 Oct 2008

The only 18" (18.4" to be precise) laptops I've come across recently that more or less meet your required specs & often surpass them are the:

- Acer's 8920G range click here

- Sony's AW11 range click here

- HP's new HDX range click here (due out in a week or so).

Have a look on each manufacturers' website for more details, & possibly more models as well. Shop around as the above links may not be the cheapest. G

tidyrob69 18:58 17 Oct 2008

Thanks G, They are quite nice but i think thats more than i want to spend. the specs i gave were optimum requirements. the basic requirements were...
pentium 1.0 ghz, 512 mb ram, 3d accelerated video with 32mb dedicated memory. pixel shader 1.4 support.

as for the cad, i could get a more basic version rather than the 3d modelling one i originally wanted.

With that in mind could i get a decent laptop that is somewhere in the mddle of the two specs for £500 or am i dreaming again? rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?