help choosing my first laptop

gerbersau 14:01 08 Aug 2004

have up to £1000 to spend. Spec: 15" TFT, Intel Pent 4 2.8, 512MB Ram, 40 Gb Hard drive, DVD-Rw; must be able to play DVD's thu Tv. I am considering: AJP D410u, Novatech Performer XL P4, Dell and Toshiba Satellites. But I know little about AJP company or Novatech. Do they build reilable notebooks? Are they good companies to deal with. I have a Dell desktop but would like to try someone else. Help most appreciated.

flubberjack 14:39 08 Aug 2004

Hi there,
In my opinion Dell and Evesham do very high-quality notebooks (that's not to say AJP do not, I have never used them :-)) and their prices are quite competitive.

click here - Dell are doing a special offer on this notebook and are also including free delivery, take a look. It does not include a DVD-RW though. However, to be honest - I do not think you would be able to get a decent DVD-RW on a laptop with your budget.

click here - This is a brand new Pentium 4 laptop from Evesham that is yet to be launched, one to watch out for.

livewire 14:42 08 Aug 2004

I have to agree Dell and Evesham do really good laptop deals and make them at high quality.

The Dell Inspiron range is a good choice as is the Evesham Voyager range.

What exactly are you using your laptop for?

gerbersau 16:31 08 Aug 2004

I am using laptop for school and home. Wprdprocessing, photos, educational programmes and games; running DVD's through TV and whiteboard at school. I really wanted to know what you experts thought of Novatech and AJP companies. I know dell are good; we use Dell at school in ICT suite. But what about these smaller companies? They seem good specs but do they build reliable laptops?

mikef. 19:41 08 Aug 2004

I have a Novatech laptop and all I can say is it's a great machine for a great price with tip top service from Novatech, who have a very good reputation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?